Looking for a few Tasmanian Myrtle Burl blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Nugent

Since I'm picking up some sweet FP and RB kits from Larry (Thanks again!), I want to take a crack at some higher end products. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Jim, I'm not at my house until Sunday PM, but I do know I have at least one "block" about 3" x 3" x 2" of a Tasmanian Burl. I don't believe it is Myrtle, possible Tasmanian Oak Burl, or a variety of Eucalyptus. It does have cracks, so I suspect it would make nice blanks if cast in a colored PR/Alumilite. These would be shorter blanks, but at 3" should do fine for 1 or 2 blank kits.

When I get home I'll check and send you a picture for you to consider.

You are a newer member and I'm not sure of your turning experience (Please, no offense intended). I would not suggest these subsequent blanks (possibly 6) as "beginner fare" and really suggest they be cast to fill the voids, or you be mindful or turning blanks with questionable "explosive potential for excitement). I do believe the wood is extremely hard.

I'll remember to do this on Sunday.

This is what a pen would look like from a similar block.

Attachments

• IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 163

Jim Nugent

No offense taken, Mark. I have only been turning for a few months, but I know the value of sharp tools and prior study of a blank before slamming a carbide or roughing gouge into it. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! Jim Nugent

greenacres2

Jim,
I took a quick look at my "Tasmanian Burl Box" this morning, and saw one piece of Myrtle near the top. Quick measure was 1" x 1.5" x 5.25". Very rough cut and not showing well from the outside--but it came from Richard Kleinhenz before he passed away, so i'd not hesitate to guess it to reveal good "innards". May be another piece or 2 in that box--can check tonight when i get home.
earl

greenacres2

Depending on what Mark comes up with, here's a few pics of the two pieces Tasmanian Myrtle Burl i have in the shop. Labelled by Rich, so i have a high degree of confidence in the ID. Have a better piece of red mallee burl, along with a few really nice pieces of eucalyptus burl as well.
@ Mark--that's a great looking blank and the pen is outstanding!!
earl
Taz Myrtle Burl 1.jpgTaz Myrtle Burl 2.jpgTaz Myrtle Burl 3.jpg

Jim Nugent

Earl: I would also be interested in your red mallee and perhaps your eucalyptus as well. Could you send me some pictures and an idea of prices? I am out of town through the weekend, but can occasionally check email. Thanks.

greenacres2

Hey Jim--PM me your e-mail address and i'll be able to send the larger version to you. Here's a teaser of the Red Mallee. Each is about 1.75 square, so they can cut into 4 mated blanks each for pen/pencil or RB/FP pairs. Despite the numbering, in the time i've had those 3, i can't find the mating lines in the blocks. #9 has probably been in my hands 40 or 50 times--but i can't reconcile cutting it!! I've got a few of those--just cut into one this morning that i've had since i started--and the inspiration finally hit today.
earl

Red Mallee 1.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm still at my In-Laws. Will be home on Sunday. Hopefully I'll remember to remember where I left my notes for what I should remember to do... Dementia sucks, I think! :eek:

Top Bottom