Looking for a bushing...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray-CA

Is there a double ended Sierra and/or Gatsby Grande bushing? That way you could put two Sierra blanks on the mandrel which would really speed things up when there were multiple pen orders etc.

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

There are two bushings that will fit the Sierra twist style pens. They are designated 20A and 32A.
They are both 12.0mm and both fit inside 27/64 tubes. The difference is that the 32A bushings are shorter than the 20A. This helps accomplish what you are going after, fitting two tubes at once on a standard length pen mandrel. You can find them on Exotic Blanks by searching for 20A and 32A or by clicking on the links below.

Bushings 20A - Sierra/Zodiac/Ellipse/Pioneer/Diamond Knurl, Wall Street II, and other Sierra style twist kits.
Bushings 32A - Virage Ballpoint (I have also seen these referred to as "Shortened 20A" bushings)

Dave

Kenny Durrant

Ray another thing to think about down the road is changing mandrels. I'm guessing with have the fixed shaft with the knurled nut on the end. If that's so look at the Mandrel Saver. The shaft is much longer and it slides inside the tail stick. Then you could put two tubes with two sets of bushings on at once. Plus no more shims needed to tighten the nut.

greenacres2

I'll predict that the time saved by mounting 2 blanks will be more than offset by having to turn slower with a lighter touch. Even on 2 part pens i virtually never turn both sections at the same time. I do tend to apply finish to 2 sections at a time, but that is with Delrin cones at lower speed--and i get time savings in the drying of the coats. For the turning part, the only potential for saving time is actually mounting the blanks--guessing less than 10 seconds difference to do two at a time on a Sierra or equivalent.
Finally, i can't speak for others, but for me--if i'm stressing over a few seconds, my turning will suffer greatly and so will my focus on technique (and probably safety). I'd rather enjoy the journey!!
But...if you must, in addition the the above suggestions, there's always grinding some of the bushings away. But, i'd prefer Ed's suggestion on turning your own from Delrin rod or such. Or turn them slightly undersized from wood and work on the technique of measuring to the components.
earl

Kenny Durrant

Earl has a good point. I only turn one pen at a time. If it's a two part pen I turn and finish both parts at once. Where I think I save time during multiple pens is that I do the same steps on all before moving to the next step. I have a small rack that I made to hold tubes. I line them up and go. First I'll do all the turning with the tools. Then I clean up the mess so shavings won't get in the way. Then I'll do all the dry sanding then switch to the wet sanding. Now that I have a VS lathe I'll speed it up and use the friction polish right after micro mesh. Not sure how much time is saved but seems easier than cleaning and making a mess back and forth.

Top Bottom