Looking 4 A Higher Quality Extended Nose Live Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

What do you think of this?

Sometimes I TBC without bushings and need to get my skew real close to the 60 degree live center (yesterday, I simply turned it around toward my drive center). I also bought and returned the Teknotool kit distribute by Amazon, but the box and contents looked it just returned from a tour in Iraq, so I returned it. It also contained many attachments that I don't need.

So I was thinking of this:

NEW 2MT 0.000197" CNC PRECISION LONG NOSE LATHE LIVE CENTER MORSE TAPER #2

If know of a better product (IYHO) $100 or less, please let me know.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I know what you are after, Tony. I too TBC without busings and need to get close to the 60 degree live center. My live center is worse for the wear from my actually getting too close to it. But I haven't found a viable alternative. The live center you posted a link to just might do the job. I'd like to know a few more dimensions, like what is the angle of the portion behind the 60* portion and what is the diameter at the point the angle changes. Do you know?

I'd be interested in hearing more of your story. And if you buy this item how you like it.

TonyL

A fellow turner directed me to the "right" one and I can't find it. I think this is it. I will keep you posted.

TonyL

The more I think about it, the more I think this was the one..so I bought it. I will let you k now.

Skie_M

Why not make a slip-fit extended center out of hardwood that fits over your existing live center and just turn the cone down again if it gets damaged?

Drill a hole in a piece of spindle stock large enough to barely slip over your live center, and turn the rest of the spindle into a thinner diameter, with a 60 degree cone on the end. Polish the cone so you have a nice smooth surface. The work will drive the cone and friction will drive the live center. Cost should be under 5 dollars and 20 minutes.

Chuck Key

110404-img.jpg

KenV

Tony

Grizzly has a precision extended live center that is good. Only a thousand run out.

For the bushings that are not drilled through, the nova live center with extended tip give lots of room for a bit more run out.

edstreet

What do you think of this?

Sometimes I TBC without bushings and need to get my skew real close to the 60 degree live center (yesterday, I simply turned it around toward my drive center). I also bought and returned the Teknotool kit distribute by Amazon, but the box and contents looked it just returned from a tour in Iraq, so I returned it. It also contained many attachments that I don't need.

So I was thinking of this:

NEW 2MT 0.000197" CNC PRECISION LONG NOSE LATHE LIVE CENTER MORSE TAPER #2

If know of a better product (IYHO) $100 or less, please let me know.

Thank you!

You mean something like this?

10253867_10203591174241836_5485403799251742141_n.jpg

TonyL

Thanks all! I will look into Grizzly. I have a second lathe to install it on. In the meantime, I will give the eBay one a whirl.

For the bushings that are not drilled through, the nova live center with extended tip give lots of room for a bit more run out.

I think I bought that one from Amazon, but the box was beat up and the parts were loose, dirty, and greasy - all that can be corrected, just didn't want to deal with the clean-up and possible damage. I think it was this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Teknatool-501...33253&sr=8-2&keywords=nova+live+center+system

I wouldn't mind investing in two good drive/dead centers. What do you (plural) think?

TonyL

That is made by the same company; I probably should have bought that one, but I hastlily bought the other one which is still an improvement. Thank you Mike.

monophoto

Several manufacturers offer live centers with a threaded end that accept interchangeable 'noses'. I bought the PSI version that has an MT2 taper, and a 1"x8tpi threaded end. Then, using a tap from Ace Hardware, I've made several 'noses' in a variety of shapes. I have some that are large and flat, some that are tapered, and some that have an HDPE insert.

With that as the starting point, it seems to me that it would be relatively simple to make a conical nose from aluminum (which can easily be turned on a wood lathe using carbide tools), and when it gets bunged up from use, you can very quickly either clean up the surface, or make a replacement.

And if you prefer to have a steel tip, you could embed a short length of steel rod in a block of hardwood that you turn and tap to fit the live center. Mount the block on your headstock spindle and rotate it while filing the rod to create the desired shape, and then remount it on the live center.

Last edited:
Top Bottom