Look what I scored yesterday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Holly wood this nice and this wide is a rare find. Only a couple small knots.
563DCC3F-4C3B-4957-B0D3-F2B231BD13C9.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm just going to leave it on the shelf and ogle it once in awhile. 😜
Ken, I am the same way with my 15 -16 year old clear (no knots) Bloodwood board. I ogled it for a few months and then put it in a dark place - only to be pullled it out when I needed to cut a piece off.

egnald

Hi all - my board is Mun Ebony from Laos. It is about 4-inches by 24-inches and is nearly all solid black which would make a stark contrast to the beautiful white holly board. I have had it for nearly a year and haven't cut into it yet in fear that it will crack all over the place. Some day I will cave in though. - Dave

I have a 2" x 12" x 3' piece of Cherry since 1974. Does that count?
Sure does. I've got a piece of redwood sitting in my shop from the very early 1900's. It came from a water tank I bought that yielded well over 1,000bf of lumber. Got two big decks out of it and some other stuff too. I've got probably 10bf of it left but I'm just waiting for the perfect something to use the remainder of it on. So age is sometimes good.

cmiller

Here's my sacred piece. I get it out once in a while and dream about what beautiful pens it would make. Then I put it back. When I bought it they said it was "Chocolate heart koa." I don't even know what that means.

IMG_0048.jpg

Here's my sacred piece. I get it out once in a while and dream about what beautiful pens it would make. Then I put it back. When I bought it they said it was "Chocolate heart koa." I don't even know what that means.

View attachment 302460

I do a lot with Koa and I've never heard that term "Chocolate heart". But I have several pieces that look very similar to this and will probably get more in my next shipment. I'll have to ask the guy I get my Koa from what it's called. Knowing Al he'll probably say "pretty" with a strong Hawaiian accent.

cmiller

I do a lot with Koa and I've never heard that term "Chocolate heart". But I have several pieces that look very similar to this and will probably get more in my next shipment. I'll have to ask the guy I get my Koa from what it's called. Knowing Al he'll probably say "pretty" with a strong Hawaiian accent.
Thanks, any info would be great. That's part of why I haven't made anything with it. I hate not knowing what kind of wood I'm making something out of.

Top Bottom