Look at what I get to cut up...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Giant Maple got cut down... and I can have at it until it gets taken away. The picture of the ones beside the fence... I'm going to try to spalt. Going to throw some horse manure, dead leaves on and under... then wrap them up in a black bag. See what comes of them next spring/summer.

Attachments

• Maple 1.jpg
    Maple 1.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Maple 2.jpg
    Maple 2.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Maple 3.jpg
    Maple 3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Maple 4.jpg
    Maple 4.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Best of luck on the spalting project . I assume you have only waxed one end of those pieces . Was the tree taken down for safety reasons ?
The ones beside the Garage, I waxed on top because I can't get to all of it at once... wanted to stop the checking until I can get to them and cut out the pith. The ones next to the fence, I only dabbed some on the pith it self... did that until I could get some manure and bag them.

It was on church property but we sold the lot and the lady is going to put up a house. The tree was in the way so she had it cut down. Currently a dispute with the tree company and her on removal cost. So, I'm picking at... I just don't have a lot of time. So, I grabbed some for spalting... the others are crotch pieces or they look like they got some figure in them. If I can get more I'll do it.

I'd get a BIG truck and make sure I got all of it....
A couple years back a lady stopped in my booth at the Farmer's Market and said she had a tree taken down that "had that disease"... wasn't sure what she was talking about, but went and looked at it... about half the size yours looks to be, but at the time I only had a Ford Ranger.... I wound up making 3 trips from my house to hers -- about 50 miles each way -- to haul that wood to my place... "that disease" turned out to be spalting and the entire tree was spalted.

PreacherJon

I'd get a BIG truck and make sure I got all of it....
A couple years back a lady stopped in my booth at the Farmer's Market and said she had a tree taken down that "had that disease"... wasn't sure what she was talking about, but went and looked at it... about half the size yours looks to be, but at the time I only had a Ford Ranger.... I wound up making 3 trips from my house to hers -- about 50 miles each way -- to haul that wood to my place... "that disease" turned out to be spalting and the entire tree was spalted.
That's cool! My problem is trying to store it somewhere. My church folk and nice... but I think they'd put a limit on that pile.

Too bad you weren't a bit closer and left the sticks longer. I would have picked it up and milled it for you and returned some pretty nice looking board stock. That is a lot of pens though.

PreacherJon

Too bad you weren't a bit closer and left the sticks longer. I would have picked it up and milled it for you and returned some pretty nice looking board stock. That is a lot of pens though.
I appreciate that, but I didn't fell the tree. The new owner had someone else do it. I'm just picking at the left overs.

That's cool! My problem is trying to store it somewhere. My church folk and nice... but I think they'd put a limit on that pile.
An advantage of living in the country.... I've about disposed of most of it, but I've had 4 or 5 piles of wood around my shop for the last 10-15 years... was getting a little junky. I'm down to only 2 piles that might still be useable and one that is destined for the burn pit soon...

Top Bottom