Longworth Type Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Ron Brown makes some really good stuff! I bought my longworth directly from him and it has been excellent. A great time saver compared to cole jaws.

RichAldrich

I have the Ron Brown longworth chucks. The 12 and 16 inch. Both are out of round. The are too flexible if trying to use as a press on the tail stock. Stick with the metal or have a cnc person make you your own so it is concentric.

greenacres2

I have both Nova-Cole and a Longworth. For holding, i'd give the Cole jaw an edge, especially with the kind of squared buttons ( https://www.teknatool.com/products/chuck-accessories/nova-cole-jaw-buffer-accessory/ ). Downside is that i've never used them without having to change the 8 button locations--it doesn't take that long, but it feels like forever when i want to finish a bottom.

For convenience--i'd give the Longworth an edge since it just kind of spins into position. With a 16" lathe, my 16" Longworth also gives me larger diameter capacity, which my not be applicable to you Lee. I also prefer the Longworth for internal holding for undercut rims, though i honestly don't know why!!

Gary Beasley

I like my longworth for centering rings as I glue up. I made a set of flat wood buttons to handle that job more efficiently. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to set the ring in place as I rotate and rub the joint as its centered causing the glue to grab fairly quickly.
IMG_3552.jpeg

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank you fellows, for your input, experience and insights. This really helps me understand the differences and potential. Thanks again!

PreacherJon

I have the Ron Brown longworth chucks. The 12 and 16 inch. Both are out of round. The are too flexible if trying to use as a press on the tail stock. Stick with the metal or have a cnc person make you your own so it is concentric.
Are you spinning them faster than recommended?

Top Bottom