Long Boy Dr. Grip Clone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

Finished off an old project this morning to clone a Dr. Grip G2 Gel. I used a Long Boy for components, except for the middle ring which I omitted. Oh, and I used a P9000 refill and not a real G2 Gel (maybe next iteration, I'll stretch it and drill out the nose for a G2 gel). The rubber grip came off a donor Dr. Grip.

I decided not to "flatten" the area under the pen clip like a real Dr. By the time I got to that point things had gone so well, I decided not to risk screwing it up :) And I'm not sure I like that flat front of the Dr. Grip anyway.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about... the Dr. Grip G2 Gel is the $6 "upscale" version of Pilot's G2 Gel. My wife swears by them, and I was kind a curios if I could win her over with a wooden version. I used a grip from a real Dr. Grip as I thought that would be important to making it feel the same. Some more info in this thread if you're curious.

Since this is a prototype (which turned out to be a keeper), I just used a piece of plain maple or oak I had laying around.

Attachments

• LongBoyGrip-8947.jpg
    LongBoyGrip-8947.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 274
  • LongBoyGrip-8949.jpg
    LongBoyGrip-8949.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 273

magpens

Interesting !!!! . Congratulations on completion !! . Love that wood ... what is it ?

budnder

I took a closer look at the wood, which came from a downed tree in a pretty native area on the property. I think I was wrong with a seat of the pants guess of oak/maple when I posted... I think it's an ash, maybe white ash?

Attachments

• Whiteash.jpg
    Whiteash.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 171
Top Bottom