Long 7mm brad point bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CDugger

Anyone have a source for obtaining long 7mm bits. I'm looking for bits longer than the normal pen turning bits to drill blanks for a measuring spoon kit handles.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Not trying to be "smart", but ...

You can do the drilling with "ordinary" twist drills ... brad points are not necessary.

And then, if you are careful, you can drill in from both ends to meet in the middle provided you start with a uniformly round blank and drill on the lathe.

There are available some extra-long specialty drills for pen making. . Here is an example of such a 7mm drill, but I notice that they don't specify length:

HSS Parabolic-Flute Drill Bits - Lee Valley Tools

penicillin

Harbor Freight has some very long wood drill bits in imperial measurements. None of them is a perfect 7 mm, but they are very long. I wonder whether you could use them for a pilot hole, then go back and use an ordinary twist drill from each end, guided by the pilot hole?

There are several sets, here is one of them:
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-316-in-14-in-25-in-long-wood-bit-set-3-pc-68822.html

P.S. I bought the smallest set. I plan to cut off most of the drill, and use the remainder to drill a pen blank to use with a Pentel P205 mechanism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom