Logo Contest Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We have somewhat of situation with the Logo Contest. Given the results of the 15th Anniversary Poll, I expected at least a handful of entries. Unfortunately, we received two entries, both from the same person.

That doesn't seem to be a workable contest, and leaves not much choice for members. I'm considering options, and I'd like your input. I want to be fair to the one entrant, while getting a logo that a good number of members feel is excellent.

Here are my thoughts. What are yours?
  • We can cancel the contest, and not produce logo items for the Bash
  • We can vote on the two logos we've received, then proceed with the members' choice. I'd set a minimum number of positive votes to constitute "wins". After all, we want a logo people like enough to see on a mug they'll buy
  • I can extend the contest a week, and hope for more entries
Thanks for your input

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

Stupid question here from a new guy- What is this Logo contest? I will enter, howmuch does it cost?

EDIT: Found details a few links down. Thank you

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Unfortunately I can not even start on how to draw a logo so I am no help there. I have noticed this site losing many older members or at least they have stopped participating. Not saying they were the logo makers. The new members are not well clued into the happenings around this time of the year on this site and believe it needs more advertising or at least talking up.

My thoughts are to extend another week and maybe also get in touch with past logo makers and see if they would be interested in doing another this year. Worst they can do is not answer or say no. I heard the word no all my life and it does not hurt. :):) Maybe instead of putting links to see past contests show a few in picture form and explain this is what we do. Explain why we do it and hope for the best. I know you run this on the front page all the time but just throwing it out there.

If we still get no list then vote on the 2 we have. Being this is a milestone year sort of speak we need a logo. :eek:

MRDucks2

I believe JT has a good point in the awareness issue. Would it be beneficial to do a single post showing some of the past logos. That could provide some awareness/creative juice for new folks, then link to the contest in it for the extended week.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I believe JT has a good point in the awareness issue. Would it be beneficial to do a single post showing some of the past logos. That could provide some awareness/creative juice for new folks, then link to the contest in it for the extended week.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

All the logos are linked in the contest announcement post. I've bumped that thread several times, the link is on the front page. Not sure how else to raise the visibility.

Here are links to all the prior logos:
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

(We didn't start the logo contest until 2010. I commissioned the 2009 logo.)

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
So, regarding extending the contest for a week. Is that fair to the person who entered? They took the time to make the logo, followed the rules to enter, and through no fault of their own, there were no other entries. The rules didn't address this type of situation.

I'm trying to balance fairness toward the person who entered against giving the membership a good selection of logos to choose from. I usually try to come down on the side of being fair to an individual versus what might make a larger group of people happy. If we extend the contest, the current lone entrant deserves the prize. When we ultimately vote, either on the current entries or an expanded field, the winner of that vote also gets the same prize.

Another approach is that we'll hold a one-week vote with the two logos. If you like one or the other, and will buy a mug with that logo, then vote. If you don't like either, don't vote. If one or the other gets at least 48 votes (the minimum mug order), we'll go with it. Otherwise we'll extend the contest.

KLJ

Jeff sounds like your last option is fair to the one that entered on time. And gives an option if what they entered is not desirable to the members, don't vote then go from there.

jttheclockman

So, regarding extending the contest for a week. Is that fair to the person who entered? They took the time to make the logo, followed the rules to enter, and through no fault of their own, there were no other entries. The rules didn't address this type of situation.

I'm trying to balance fairness toward the person who entered against giving the membership a good selection of logos to choose from. I usually try to come down on the side of being fair to an individual versus what might make a larger group of people happy. If we extend the contest, the current lone entrant deserves the prize. When we ultimately vote, either on the current entries or an expanded field, the winner of that vote also gets the same prize.

Another approach is that we'll hold a one-week vote with the two logos. If you like one or the other, and will buy a mug with that logo, then vote. If you don't like either, don't vote. If one or the other gets at least 48 votes (the minimum mug order), we'll go with it. Otherwise we'll extend the contest.

I know you are trying to do the right thing and it seems you feel that we just vote on the 2 and then so be it. There is no one here who will object because they followed the rules. You want fair but what in life is fair??:) Put the ballot up and lets have at it. You are going to get a few people answer you here and that is it so is that fair we are the ones making the decision for the group. Same goes for voting. Just saying:)

thewishman

Would it be possible to contact the one person and ask if they mind the additional time for more entries? If she/he hesitates,or doesn't want to extend, then let us pick from the rule-abiding entries.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK....my 2p worth....

There are two entries....

We didn't need to know that they are from the same person. I don't think that even matters.

I hate to say this and hope I'm wrong but do you ( Jeff ) feel like neither of them are worthy? Hence this thread?

How about giving him/her the prize and then, to increase the options for us to vote on, we choose from either of those and our favourites from previous years and simply change the date.

If an old one wins, then that designer gets kudos and bragging rights....but the prize should go to this year's entrant. :wink:

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

If you don't have firm commitments from people that will actually create entries in the next week then extending will not accomplish anything.

Ed

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK....my 2p worth....

There are two entries....

We didn't need to know that they are from the same person. I don't think that even matters.

I hate to say this and hope I'm wrong but do you ( Jeff ) feel like neither of them are worthy? Hence this thread?

How about giving him/her the prize and then, to increase the options for us to vote on, we choose from either of those and our favourites from previous years and simply change the date.

If an old one wins, then that designer gets kudos and bragging rights....but the prize should go to this year's entrant. :wink:

If they were not from the same person, I could have just run the poll. I see your point though. It's a contest between logos, not people.

I don't have an opinion on the submitted logos. My only goal was to provide a good selection of different logos to choose from. Two seems like too few to be considered a good selection.

While I like the old logo idea, there are several problems with that, the most important being that I don't have high resolution jpgs or vector files for them. They'd have to be redrawn.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have firm commitments from people that will actually create entries in the next week then extending will not accomplish anything.

Ed

Yes, good point. Given that the contest was open for 3 weeks, I doubt that extending it is going to bring in any additional entries.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Now I agree, the contest has been open for three weeks. The rules were followed, and to be fair to the entrant I think we should vote on the entries. Extending it may or may not bring more entries, but the rules were laid out in the contest announcement.

JimB

Interesting...I visit here almost every day and click on the New Posts in the blue bar. I do not recall the original thread ever appearing. I've thought this has happened before as it seems I have seen posts days or even weeks after the thread was started and not when I click New Posts each day.

CREID

Just a thought. This may not be fair to the lone entrant, but in the past we have had many entries that were great but did not win. Could maybe the close second place winners be added to the mix?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought. This may not be fair to the lone entrant, but in the past we have had many entries that were great but did not win. Could maybe the close second place winners be added to the mix?

I agree, we've had some fantastic entries. I've used a few of the 2nd place finishers on the front of the shirts, in case anyone hasn't noticed :biggrin:

But adding them to the mix in this contest isn't feasible. I'd have to collect the artwork from the archives, post it for voting, then find someone to modify the artwork if one were to win, which unless the person is still around and can provide the source files, means they'd have to be redrawn. Plus in the same way that extending the contest isn't fair, adding multiple additional entries isn't either.

Thanks for the idea. Definitely worth doing, but not in this case.

CREID

I agree, we've had some fantastic entries. I've used a few of the 2nd place finishers on the front of the shirts, in case anyone hasn't noticed :biggrin:

But adding them to the mix in this contest isn't feasible. I'd have to collect the artwork from the archives, post it for voting, then find someone to modify the artwork if one were to win, which unless the person is still around and can provide the source files, means they'd have to be redrawn. Plus in the same way that extending the contest isn't fair, adding multiple additional entries isn't either.

Thanks for the idea. Definitely worth doing, but not in this case.
Thanx for the response. First, no i didn't know you used the second place winners on shirts, I don't buy them because you never have the size I wear, but it is nice to hear that you do recognize the entries that were good but didn't win. Second, you may want to ask the entrants to supply the source files with their entry for future use.

Curt

TonyL

My opinion is to choose a logo from the person that followed the rules and posted entries.

Next year, maybe we can proceed differently. I am happy with a mug with any logo - but that is how I would roll. JMHO.

Maybe, next year, the less artistically inclined when it comes to logos (like me), could be made aware of the clip art, stock photos, and other tools we can use to produce our own and deliver an entry - again, just an idea.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This is the type of issue that Jeff has to deal with more often than most members know. He works very hard to be fair, to please the majority and provide an inviting, comfortable on-line community. That is quite a juggling act that he handles very well while dodging the slings and arrows that are occasionally thrown his way. I just thought it needed to be said. Thanks Jeff!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This is the type of issue that Jeff has to deal with more often than most members know. He works very hard to be fair, to please the majority and provide an inviting, comfortable on-line community. That is quite a juggling act that he handles very well while dodging the slings and arrows that are occasionally thrown his way. I just thought it needed to be said. Thanks Jeff!

Thanks, Mike! Happy to do my little part to keep things running smoothly :biggrin:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I agree with you on voting on the two. I also sent you a message on an idea for future years (which I sent before I read all of this one). Not a big issue for me either way it goes. Thanks for being sensitive to what is fair.

Freddie

Top Bottom