Location for Greater Houston meeting of 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Where would you like the next Houston area meeting to be held

• Ramon's (rsjimenez) place in Alvin, south of Houston

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would attend if held some place else and will volunteer to coordinate the meeting

• I can't attend a February meeting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
We have three locations being offered for the first meeting of 2012, my place (Monty)in Pearland, Ramon's (rsjimenez) in Alvin and Harry's place (hjdiamond2) on the NW side of Houston.
This would most likely be in February, with the date being set by the host. If none of the three places meet your liking, please post below that you would be willing to host or find a place to have the meeting.

renowb

Would definitely like to see some casting demos, PR and alumilite if possible.

Southstl

We have a new grand-baby due end of Feb, beginning of March. Other than that, I sure would like to finally make one of these meetings. I will keep watching for updates.

Last edited:

The Penguin

Doesn't matter to me where it is - I'm basically equidistant from all three.

I would love to see a closed-end pen demo (like the ones that TimeBandit) makes. I'd even chip in to pay for his gas to get here and show us how he does it. :biggrin:

mson

I have voted, anywhere is fine with me. Coming from Baytown and don't mind the drive.

I would like to see demonstartions on : making your own carbide tipped tool, closed end pen and CA finishing.

Charles

Hey guys, I will try to attend wherever it occurs. Rodeo is at the end of the month with the BBQ cook off so that's my only conflict. I really would like to see how two of our members cast their alligator jaw bones. I have coral filler and cast quite a bit, ie snake skins and random colors, but confused how to get the crushed tourquise or coral to stay in the teeth holes etc. Also, interested in acquiring/buying any excess antler anyone may have. I am low low on deer antler and since hunting season ends this weekend thought some one might have extra for some change.

Charles

Also interested in someone showing a tutorial on pepper mills. I know it's not a pen but have been wanting to try these. Or is anyone doing any "cane" pens. with the clay canes. Just got a few of these and curious how everyone finishes these.
Just some ideas. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.:biggrin:

Verne

Has a date or locale been chosen yet. I would like to attend but health dictates distance and time spent.
I have voted for montys place only because he is such a nice guy and I can get lost going to his place and nobody cares!
Vern

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Has a date or locale been chosen yet. I would like to attend but health dictates distance and time spent.
I have voted for montys place only because he is such a nice guy and I can get lost going to his place and nobody cares!
Vern
No date set yet. That will be up to whom ever hosts the meeting.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Even though Harry voted for himself and I abstained, it looks like a slight majority with a preference want the meeting at Harry's.
I just spoke to him on the phone and he wants to have it Saturday February 18.
He'll be posting shortly with the time and particulars.
So far for demos, it looks like Ramon will do a PR casting demo, I'll do a demo on making a carbide tool, and making and powder coating a cartridge pen.
Anyone else want to volunteer to do a demo?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Well even though Harry voted for himself and I abstained, it looks like those that had a preference for the next meeting placed wanted Harry's. And I guess it's only fair to have it up that way since the last two have been on the south side.
Harry wants to have the meeting Saturday, February 18. He will post the time and particulars shortly.
As for demos, so far Ramon will do a PR casting demo, and I'll do one on making a carbide tool and making and powder coating a cartridge pen. Anyone else want to volunteer to do a demo?

Justturnin

Depending on the time i am still going to try to make it. My daughters party is from 12 -2 on the 18th so i may be late but i sure want to make it.

hjdiamond2

The meeting will be at my house on Saturday Feb 18,2012 from 10:00 am till we all get tired, we will have pizza from Papa Johns, I think $5.00 will do it. Here a link to mapquest for my address which is 13015 Peach Meadow Drive, Cypress TX 77429-3819, http://mapq.st/A1uIgM and MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map
Take SH249 take Louetta exit then go (west) to Grant, then left (south) to Quail Forest, then right (west) go to Lakemist then right and go to Peach Meadow (I live on the corner Of Peach Meadow and Quail Forest). If you get lost give me a call for directions.

Harry Diamond
281-370-7109

Last edited:

BRENDA WITTE

I will try to attend. I am used to being asleep at that time(i have worked nights for 30 yrs). I need someone to show me how to knock out pen parts. I am also interested in making carbide tools. I use the easy wood carbide tipped tools now. I hope I can make it.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Here is the tentative schedule for Saturday's meeting.
Arrive 10 AM
Demos starting at 10:30 in no particular order:
Clyde Sloan – itzapen – Stabilization with Cactus Juice
Ramon Jimenez – rsjimenez – Casting with PR
Mannie Steglich – Monty – Casting with alumilite, making a carbide tool, powder coating
Any other requests for demos? Any other volunteers to do a demo?
Remember your $5 for pizza and bring your drinks.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
I'm trying to find time to get a couple of peppermills at varying stage of completion. Drilling one is too time-consuming to demo, but if I can bring enough staged examples I think whoever is interested will be able to get the gist! :wink:

DougG

Would like to attend but Saturday, 18 Feb. is also the GCWA meeting and as I am chairperson of the spring retreat, I need to attend that meeting. Keep me in the loop for the next meeting.
Doug G

JeffT

Harry,
Thanks for hosting today's meeting. The demos were great and the conversation even better! Good to see everyone and I look forward to the next one.

sam

Sorry I missed it guys, but I had a 10:00 phone meeting with the insurance adjuster trying to settle the theft claim of 96 pens and other things from my truck 8 months ago.
Sam

mson

Great gathering

Harry,
Thanks for hosting the get together.

Thanks all for the knowedge sharing and the good fun.

martin / mson

BAYQUEST

Thanks for hosting Harry! Great demos
By Clyde on cactus juice, Ramon on casting,
Monty on tools and a little of everything.
I learned a lot from you guys.
Thanks,

Last edited:

Charles

Enjoyed the meeting!. Thanks Monty for the tips on the powder coating and Gator Jaw. Learned a lot from everyone. Ramon again beautiful castings. A big Thank you to Harry for hosting and sharing your wife's ability to do embroidering on towels and hats ect. I will be getting in touch later for her assistance in having some work done.

vanngo5d

Enjoyed meeting everyone. Harry thanks for hosting. It's always good to meet other with similar intrest. Was able to pickup on some hints, tricks and how to's. Look forward to the next meeting.

Don Vann --- Vanngo5d

Justturnin

I am so sad that I missed this. My 3 year olds birthdat party was the ame day. Maybe next time........ when is next time?

Top Bottom