Live Oak Crotch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

I turned this a few weeks ago. Relatively wet when I started so I thought it would be no more difficult to turn than Mesquite. WRONG! I thought I'd never get a clean cut on the inside... especially under the natural edge lip. I bad catch resulted in a design opportunity that I have been wanting to try for awhile. I cut a dado (groove) around the lower middle and inlaid my own homemade micarta (resin soaked fabric). The other voids were filled with blue epoxy.

As always, thanks for looking and C&C welcome.

Attachments

• 640liveoakHF1.jpg
    640liveoakHF1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 640liveoakHF2.jpg
    640liveoakHF2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 640liveoakHF3.jpg
    640liveoakHF3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Specky bowl, and grain. I love the Oak rays. Funny how a bad catch can create a "DESIGN OPPORTUNITY". That sure is an excellent way of putting it.

Thanks for showing.

Bob.

robutacion

Specky bowl, and grain. I love the Oak rays. Funny how a bad catch can create a "DESIGN OPPORTUNITY". That sure is an excellent way of putting it.

Thanks for showing.

Bob.

Hahahaha, I agreed totally with you mate, is great when someone sees a "problem"/"oops" as a design opportunity, is certainly a very positive way to address the issue...!:wink::biggrin:

Billy
I like the shape and what you did to it, its amazing how far a little bit of imagination can go...!

Well done,

Cheers
George

Ed McDonnell

I pretty much gave up turning green live oak for bowls. Most of the bowls warped really bad as they dried. The few that survived looked really nice though.

I wonder if your repairs helped keep yours round?

Ed

SC_Turner

Nice turning!

Out of curiosity, what is 'live oak?'

A Live Oak is a variety of Oak, Quercus virginiana, found near the coast of south eastern states. They typically have broad but short trunks and the canopy can extend out further than their height. This protects the tree during the high winds of a hurricane. The common name "live oak" comes from the fact that the tree has green leaves year round. In the rare event of an ice storm the live oak is vulnerable to losing limbs due to weight of ice on the leaves.

Attachments

• angel_oak2_400 (Small).jpg
    angel_oak2_400 (Small).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 167

Dan Masshardt

A Live Oak is a variety of Oak, Quercus virginiana, found near the coast of south eastern states. They typically have broad but short trunks and the canopy can extend out further than their height. This protects the tree during the high winds of a hurricane. The common name "live oak" comes from the fact that the tree has green leaves year round. In the rare event of an ice storm the live oak is vulnerable to losing limbs due to weight of ice on the leaves.

Very interesting. Thank you. Is the wood much different than other oaks?

alamocdc

Thanks for the kind remarls, all!

Dan, I Can't answer for everyone who has worked with Live Oak, but I can tell you based on my experience that it seems to be harder than the Reds and Whites I worked from the Ohio area. But it may also be that all of my Live Oak workings have been either highly figured crotch pieces or burls. Even wet this stuff can be like turning a brick.

kyaggie

A Live Oak is a variety of Oak, Quercus virginiana, found near the coast of south eastern states.

Good on the guy from South Carolina for putting up a picture of the Angel Oak!:) The canopy of this 400-500 year old tree covers over 17,000 square feet!

Mike

robutacion

Oh my God...! imagine what George's would do to those broken limbs...??? (which are a lot bigger than, many tree species I get from around here...!:eek:). Gotta get the trailer hooked and chainsaws loaded before someone takes them away...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Billie,
If that's wood from the Alamo tree, suspect you might find a musket ball or two embedded in there.
Great looking bowl... love the "re-design" opportunity.

Did you get any of the water in the flooding I read about in SAT??
Keep your head above water.

alamocdc

Chuck it wasn't from the Live Oak at the Alamo, but I have some Heritage Live Oak from another tree. This was just a piece of salvaged firewood.

As for the flooding, nothing at the house. But we have a higher elevation than most. If it floods out by me, San Antonio is in serious trouble!

hard hat

my shop is in the shade year around because of my neighbors live oak tree. it covers four peoples yards.

very nice work on the bowl

Top Bottom