Liturgical bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Turned from Hickory then a triple helix drawn to symbolize the trinity and the regions between the helices free form pierced. The helices are then airbrushed with the liturgical colors of blue, green and purple. A gold mica fade is airbrushed in the center and a halo of red done on the rim. Finished with polyurethane. Around 8" (20 cm) in diameter.

Attachments

• Liturgical Bowl 01.jpg
    Liturgical Bowl 01.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Superb work, Eric. Really fantastic detail. You say the piercings are done free form? How do you do that?

The piercings are done with the same tool that I use to carve eggs, an NSK Presto. It is a high speed (320,000 RPM) air tool that is quite similar to dental drills, and uses dental burrs to carve. If the wood is thin enough (under 1/8" wall thickness) you can essentially "draw" through the wood.

That is very nice!

Thanks!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone, it was fun to make. It was the sort of thing that I really struggled with how to convey the underlying theme.

Aaron, this piece was done in 4 phases. Rough turned green in early 2010 and dried for 6 months. Then finish turned and set aside for embellishment. To get to this point was probably a few hours of work, getting a piece thin enough to pierce is still a learning experience for me. Then the piece was pierced, taking an hour or two per helix. Finally it was airbrushed. Masking took longer than the airbrushing maybe an hour. So I guess I maybe have 10 hours into it.

ctubbs

Art is art. Just because I can't do it does not mean that I can not recognize it and that bowl is art. Beautiful work. Congratulations.
Charles

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Gorgeous bowl!! Love the carvings!! You mentioned you did the carving the same way you do eggs, would love to see them!!

Toni, I've posted them here piecemeal, but if you look in my Recent Creations album on FB, you can see them all.

Thanks everyone, it was fun to make. It was the sort of thing that I really struggled with how to convey the underlying theme.

Aaron, this piece was done in 4 phases. Rough turned green in early 2010 and dried for 6 months. Then finish turned and set aside for embellishment. To get to this point was probably a few hours of work, getting a piece thin enough to pierce is still a learning experience for me. Then the piece was pierced, taking an hour or two per helix. Finally it was airbrushed. Masking took longer than the airbrushing maybe an hour. So I guess I maybe have 10 hours into it.

Thats a lot of work but it looks like it was well worth it. you did a beautiful job .

Top Bottom