Lilac Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from donkos67

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Very Nice! I love working with Lilac. It cuts so smoothly and sands very easy. I have a large Lilac I trim once in a while and keep. The only problem with it is it cracks and splits as it dies, and its usually a spiral split.

magpens

Gorgeous pen ... I love the lilac wood !!!!! . Do you know where I can get some ?

donkos67

Lilac Wood Pen

The wood was harvested and dried from a probably 40 year old bush that was getting weak. After drying the wood close to a good level I turned the blank and gave it many coats of Thin Wood CA and it drank it in. I am hoping it acts as a stabilizer so the wood does not crack. This was more experimenting on my part. I have quite a bit more drying and about ready to use. I also just removed a Lilac for a friend that had gotten crushed by a tree limb from a storm. The root ball/base was 12 inches across and about 15 inches high. Not a lot of color but looks like a very nice burl. I will be doing many more Lilac pens but you kinda have to reverse the process for making the blank. I center drill my center line on both ends and turn the wood until I have a cylindrical blank. Then I seal the ends and let it dry until the wood is thirsty for the thin CA and turn the pen. I give it CA coats until no more will soak in then I move to medium CA for a few coats making sure the ends get sealed also. Then wet sand and assemble. So far I do not see any signs of cracking. Hopefully I can afford a stabilizing system soon as I think that it the best solution.

JohnU

I've made several Lilac pens after the wood was dry with no cracking problems. For me it was the drying process. The limbs are about the diameter of a pop can and had cracked prior to me cutting them off. Once dried and turned there was no problem so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Nice work!

Top Bottom