Lignum Vitae

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Yesterday I was given a very old Bowling Ball called a Wood. To us Brits. this is a game played on grass made famous Sir Walter Raleigh. A long time ago I made a small bowl out of one this one I cut into Pen Blanks and what you see is the first one made.
CA finish. Please feel free to comment.

Attachments

• pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 151
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 143
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

I gave up on finish and merely burnished the click pens I made from family from my grandfathers bowling ball. Only one I didnt make one for was me, must get round to that …🤔

Did you have trouble drilling it for the tube Michael? I had to drill 0.1mm larger and ream the hole with the drill to get the tube in. Used cellulose thinners to clean the hole too so the epoxy would stick well ( seems to have worked as 6 years on all family members say they're intact !

Kcimdrib

I gave up on finish and merely burnished the click pens I made from family from my grandfathers bowling ball. Only one I didnt make one for was me, must get round to that …🤔

Did you have trouble drilling it for the tube Michael? I had to drill 0.1mm larger and ream the hole with the drill to get the tube in. Used cellulose thinners to clean the hole too so the epoxy would stick well ( seems to have worked as 6 years on all family members say they're intact !
No problem with drilling and I used thick CA. There's a lot of oil in this wood hence one of the uses years ago were ships bearings.
I hope the CA holds because I now normally use Epoxy I was in a bit of a rush to make the Pen.

howsitwork

Yes the oil was why I cleaned (or degreased) with cellulose thinners and a cotton bud.

I sanded upto about 500 grit then buffed it and loved the semi matte finish I got. Once finished I don't think it'll de-laminate Michael so you should be fine. Nice result

Kcimdrib

Yes the oil was why I cleaned (or degreased) with cellulose thinners and a cotton bud.

I sanded upto about 500 grit then buffed it and loved the semi matte finish I got. Once finished I don't think it'll de-laminate Michael so you should be fine. Nice result
Cheers Ian

Top Bottom