Lignum Vitae with no extra finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Humongous

Humongous

I always wanted to try this, Woodcraft has Argentine Lignum Vitae on sale this month at 50% off. Even at that it's the most I ever paid for a 3"x24" board. It is very heavy but drilled and turned pretty easily. I used carbide to get close then finished with a skew. I then dry sanded with micro mesh finally burnishing with a cloth. For no finish the pen is extremely smooth, almost feels like a plastic. The smell is very nice, almost a flowery perfume smell. That was one of the reasons I didn't put any other finish on.

Thanks for looking, comments and critique always welcome.

20230709_155024.jpg

20230709_160944.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It's been a few years, but I also burnished some of my more dense pen blanks (Bog Oak, English Oak, Desert Ironwood, and Lignum Vitae). I don't sell, so the finish is what I feel is good and for those few pens I am very happy with the natural 'feel' and appearance. Well done, and a beautiful belaying pin pen (a use for LV). šŸ¤£ I appreciate seeing this!

derekdd

I've never worked with it before but think it's an interesting wood.

That's a lovely pen.

It will be interesting to see if it soaks up skin oil and dirt over time with no finish.

craig

I've never worked with it before but think it's an interesting wood.

That's a lovely pen.

It will be interesting to see if it soaks up skin oil and dirt over time with no finish.
It is oily in itself. That's why it was used for bearings in early submarines. Self lubricating

Todd in PA

I love the smell and the look of this wood. I saw it in the store, but didn't buy. I wasn't sure how it would turn. So i appreciate your input.

I'd be too worried about cracking to not seal a wood with something. Maybe the natural oiliness will protect itself.

sorcerertd

That's a nice looking pen.

I've used ALV several times and still have a long stick of it around. This is kinda funny in that the last one I made was for that same exact kit.

As for other comments, I can agree that it is a naturally oily wood and seems extremely durable without any finish. It's never cracked on me. It is definitely is hard enough to blunt HSS tools in short order. I think the only wood more dense is the true Lignum Vitae, but not by much. I love the smell, the feathery grain stands out, and the color is quite different. Unlike most woods that fade over time, this will become greener. Leave it in the sun for a couple days and you'll see the difference. Here's a pic from the wood database site

1688959495153.png

BULLWINKLE

I always wanted to try this, Woodcraft has Argentine Lignum Vitae on sale this month at 50% off. Even at that it's the most I ever paid for a 3"x24" board. It is very heavy but drilled and turned pretty easily. I used carbide to get close then finished with a skew. I then dry sanded with micro mesh finally burnishing with a cloth. For no finish the pen is extremely smooth, almost feels like a plastic. The smell is very nice, almost a flowery perfume smell. That was one of the reasons I didn't put any other finish on.

View attachment 356596
View attachment 356597
I've only turned one pen in Lignum Vitae and I didn't use a finish either for the same reason. This is a really nice wood. Over time the wood darkens somewhat and the yellow, orange, and green color streaks fade away. I don't think that using a finish will stop this but it may slow down the process. Even after this happened it's still a beautiful wood and micromesh will make it as smooth as glass. Great looking pen ! You did a fantastic job.

BULLWINKLE

View attachment 356596
View attachment 356597
I've only made one pen from Lignum Vitae. I didn't finish either for the same reason. Micromesh will make it smooth as glass.
This wood will darken over time and the color variations will fade. Mine had orange and green streaks initially. I doubt that a finish would prevent this but may slow the process. It is so smooth and closed grain that I doubt any finish would properly adhere, with the possible exception of friction polish. In any case, it remains a beautiful wood. You did a great job on it.

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

03858842-9D65-4B52-86FF-525A34603F61.jpeg
I turned this Lignum Vitae pen about 20+ years ago. No finish. No cracks. This is one of the heaviest woods there is. I believe about 70 pounds a cubic foot. It sinks. Extremely closed pore and almost as hard as stone. I used HSS chisels which were duller than a butter knife when I finished. Highly recommend using carbide chisels. It's not difficult to turn due to technique (same as other wood) it's slow to turn because it's an extremely hard wood. Take your time and go easy.

Kcimdrib

View attachment 356596
View attachment 356597
Great Pen and leaving it unfinished shows it at its best well done.

Top Bottom