Lignum Vitae and Cocobolo Polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

This is my first Polaris, and my first lamination. It came out OK, but I need a better way of squaring the pieces. I DO like the color combination, and I can't wait to do my next one, which will probably be Olive wood. I like the way Lignum Vitae finishes on its own, so this one doesn't have any finish on it.

5252_Lignum%20Vitae%20and%20Cocobolo%20Polaris%202.jpg

5312_Lignum%20Vitae%20and%20Cocobolo%20Polaris%203.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Jim:

Nice job!!

I wonder what it would look like if you moved the "band" a little so the middle of the band was under the point where the clip touches the barrel??

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Nice Jim... if you are doing the olive wood, try a bloodwood section with it.. it really stands out nice.. I would also move the band under the clip for balance..
Here is a pic of one of my real real early pens in BOW/Bloodwood..

2005531122226_BOliveBloodwood.jpg
<br />

airrat

Nice looking pen, I am going to try my first Polaris style this week. Like the no finish, did that with a cocobolo last night. In the end put one coat of finish on it to keep it protected.

JimGo

Thanks for all the kind comments. Tom, the BOW with Bloodwood looks great! I'll have to keep that in mind.

I thought about putting one Cocobolo band on each end (the Lignum Vitae is REALLY pretty, and I didn't want to break it up), but the problem was that the bands were going to be pretty thin, and I was afraid that they would break free when I went to turn them (that happened on the African Blackwood cigar pen I did recently). What glue do our lamination experts use/recommend for this? I used CA after cleaning both surfaces with DNA, and it seemed OK this time, but the joint was well supported on either side when it came time to turn the pen.

Randy, your idea of moving the band up is a good one; wish I had thought of that before turning! It would have put the Cocobolo off center by a bit (I think), but that may have made it more visually appealing.

ilikewood

Bet that was fun gluing two oily woods together![:)] Tell us how it holds up with time as those have have to be some of the hardest woods to glue. Good job with the combo!

Fangar

Awesome Jim! The band move would be nice, but I also think it looks great the way it is for this pen. I agree with Griz on the bloodwood. It really makes the honey tones of the BOW pop. (Nice Griz). Thanks for posting it. Looks great.

James

mick

Great pen Jim......really nice wood!
Griz, you ain't gonna believe what I made this weekend....looks just like your Olivewood and bloodwood pen! Made a Cigar along similar lines also ....Must be true what the say about great minds.......lol

[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom