Lightning Arrestors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Do you have them? Feel the need? Was wondering if they make a difference. Started to BBQ tonight... as soon as I walked out I see a large flash and immediate thunder burst. They say 30 seconds between the 2 is dangerous...this had to be MORE dangerous. There was no pause. I shut things down and went back into the house. Anyway I started thinking about lightning arrestors. I heard of someones garage getting hit..cars ignited and house burned down.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I bought several for my computers and TVs/electronics. I may get a whole house system. I lost a TV and all electronics on the circuit. I have no idea if they work.

WriteON

I bought several for my computers and TVs/electronics. I may get a whole house system. I lost a TV and all electronics on the circuit. I have no idea if they work.

I'm thinking of a "rod" on the roof. Anyway a good strike/surge will kill electronics
Florida is the lightning capital of the country.

jttheclockman

You are talking about 2 different things. Lightning protection placed on a house or as they are called lightning rods are much different than yesteryears. Today they are place in rows and are much shorter. A system for a house is about $3000. If you are in a lightning prone area and you are one of the tallest buildings in your area then it is a worthwhile look into. They set up a ground grid for your house and protect those high points on your house.

You are more prone to get lightning surges to your house and this is where lightning surge protectors come into play. Power surges from strikes on poles miles away or right in front of your house is more likely than a strike to a house. You can get power surges from poles being knocked down or from telephone wires getting hit or tv cables getting hit. Those in house arrestors that we plug computers in are worthless unless it is a small surge. Large surge would blow right pass that device. Your best bet is a whole house arrester placed in the panel best line of defense. Most cable companies frown on placing those cable surge protectors on their cables before the devices. They do supply a device that has a higher jewel value than what you can buy. Place that in the main line.

tomas

Do you have them? Feel the need? Was wondering if they make a difference. Started to BBQ tonight... as soon as I walked out I see a large flash and immediate thunder burst. They say 30 seconds between the 2 is dangerous...this had to be MORE dangerous. There was no pause. I shut things down and went back into the house. Anyway I started thinking about lightning arrestors. I heard of someones garage getting hit..cars ignited and house burned down.

There is a manned fire lookout on a rock outcropping in the mountains SouthWest of Denver called Devil's Head. You can see over 100 miles in any direction and the lookout is the tallest thing around. I asked the ranger what he does during thunder storms? He moved his wooden stool to the center of the room and sat with his feet on one of the rungs. He said, "I sit like this and don't move hoping nothing happens."

Tomas

sbwertz

I use surge suppressors on EVERYTHING. Here in Phoenix we get horrible lightning storms during monsoon. I had a strike hit the transformer on a pole right behind the house in the alley. Blew every lightbulb in the house that was turned on, blew the 110/12volt converter on the motorhome that was plugged in, shot a two foot tongue of flame out of a light switch that just about singed my husband's eyebrows (he had to go change his shorts) but didn't damage a single electronics item in the house because they were all on surge suppressors. Even the refrigerator and freezer, microwave, tv, etc. Every wall socket int he house has a surge suppressor on it. I had to replace most of the surge suppressors because they sacrificed themselves. Also, most of them have a fairly short lifespan, so replace them every few years because small surges will eventually make them fail. Best ones won't work if the surge suppressor fails...cheap ones will just keep working as a power strip and you don't know its failed.

monophoto

I can really relate to Frank's concern. My mother came from a very large family, and when I was a kid growing up in Florida, our family, and her brothers and sisters and their families, all rented vacation cottages on Lake Worth so that we could have a week together each summer. My dad loved to fish, and would go out before dawn every day. The day came when he and my aunt's father were out fishing when a thunderstorm came up. Fortunately, they were smart enough to head for shore, store the boat, and then hitchhike back to the cottage. But the family was in a panic at the though of those two guys out in a boat during a thunderstorm on Lake Worth.

To John's point, the lightning rods (aka 'earth terminals') are the pointy things you frequently see on the roof of barns or other high structures. The idea is that by being the highest point, and with a robust electrical connection to earth, they provide a path for lightning discharge current to flow to earth without causing harm.

The surge protectors we commonly use on computers and TVs are semiconductor devices (typically zinc oxide) that suppress voltage surges coming in from an external source. The best analogy is an infinity edge swimming pool - ripples can propagate across the surface of the water, but when they reach the edge, they simply disappear over the side. The actual semiconductor is contained in a small blob of plastic inside the outlet strip. And John is correct - they have a very finite thermal withstand capability (rated in joules), and if that capability is exceeded, the device can fail. And when they fail, there often nothing to indicate that the failure has occurred, and therefore the device is no longer providing protection.

A whole-house arrester is a very good idea, especially if your house is served via an overhead wires. The best location is to have it installed at the point where the overhead wires attach to the side of the house, and connect to the cable that enters the house, but it is also common to see them at the electrical panel (fuse box).

There has been a lot of research done on lightning, but it remains an area of great mystery. The prevailing understanding is that lightning comes about when the electrical charge gradient between earth and cloud exceeds the withstand capability of air. There are those who believe that earth terminals can be designed in a way that minimizes the buildup of that charge gradient. Some people who have used the technology believe that they have seen a reduction in the frequency of lightning strikes. Many other believe that the efficacy of that technology has never been conclusively demonstrated, and therefore it's just a form of snake oil.

jttheclockman

For every good thing there is possible bad things that can happen. Today we have more and more homes putting solar panels on their roofs but at what cost. You are basically adding a huge sign to the lightning Gods that say hit me here. You have companies running around doing shoddy work. Just like in window installation there is good better and best. Do your homework when getting those installed because they need lightning protection and surge protection. Costly oops if not properly installed. Some companies may not take in consideration you are in a high lightning strike area. Don't forget what surge goes through power line goes through those solar systems. And vice-versa.:):)

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Here is a pic of one of the lightning rods salvaged from the farm house. This one is 54" tall and is green as that was the last color of the roof. I have one of the spiral glass balls , blue in color, which slid down over the top of the lightning rod...but it needs gluing back together. I remember holding onto these rods while we were painting the roof back in the late 60's/early 70's.
The cable running between the rods and to the ground was the same diameter and spiral as the lightning rod... 3/4"+...this was very heavy, stiff cable. I think these were installed in the 50's when an addition was added.
The front lightning rod on the cow barn had a cow shaped weather vane....with some bullet holes in it!!
The house came down in '88 to make way for a toll road. A couple of the barns still remain but the property is not in the family.

Attachments

• FBFB0441-5A2E-4F78-A043-625CF62D2992.jpg
    FBFB0441-5A2E-4F78-A043-625CF62D2992.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 141

WriteON

Currently...heavy rain. Intense lightning strikes and thunder very close together in Lake Worth, Fl. Good day not to be working on a roof or trimming trees.

sbwertz

I use the surge protectors because we have a single story house, surrounded by tall trees. The local (not mine) palm trees are what are hit most often, but power poles with transformers on them are also common targets. Although we don't get direct strikes, we do get huge power surges when a power pole is hit.

(did you know a palm tree will burn like a torch for hours, and a year later, it will leaf right back out again! Amazing.

WriteON

(did you know a palm tree will burn like a torch for hours, and a year later, it will leaf right back out again! Amazing.

We have a very tall royal palm that is very close to the house. It is Pretty. Pretty looking and Pretty scary. It made it through a few hurricanes however it makes me nervous.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I have a power strip that has a surge protector built in with a warranty that says if my electronics get fried, they will replace them. Don't have an Ex; had the same lady for almost 47 years. FWIW, had a great mother-in-law!

jttheclockman

I have a power strip that has a surge protector built in with a warranty that says if my electronics get fried, they will replace them. Don't have an Ex; had the same lady for almost 47 years. FWIW, had a great mother-in-law!

Read the fine print on that surge protector. What are they protecting you from?? :):)

moke

I live in Iowa, we have some good rippers of storms, but I was in Tuscon in my early twenties, and they had lighting hit the ground in several places around where I was at. Never having been in a war zone, it was the closest thing to being shelled I have ever been in. I think sbwertz is playing it smart!!!!
I have all my computers in my business and at home on ABS units, and wouldn't be with out it, but I am not sure of the wisdom of attracting lightning to anywhere....I was in LE and have seen the power of lightning many, many times....

They work. The man that taught me pen turning over 20 years ago had them on his home. One day while visiting the conversation turned toward the lightning rods on the roof of his house. He explained after his house was hit a number of times his insurance company offered to install full exterior lightning rods at no charge to him. He was a long time customer of theirs. Heavy cables running to the earth where ground rods were installed. Apparently his home was built in a "sweet spot" (well grounded) and lightning appeared to just naturally strike there, repeatedly. After the installation no further problems.
While these aren't the equipment that is installed on your electrical system, they worked very well. No more problems.

jttheclockman

It can also come through the cable(I think)

That is how I lost my TV and other electronics.

You can get a surge protector that your cable can go through, both cat5 and coax.

I have several of them. Also with USB and telephone ports.

I had mentioned this in one of my posts here but it is frowned upon by cable companies because it affects the signal. They have their own highly calibrated protector that they sometimes put on the pole at the junction boxes or sometimes right before it goes into the house.

You can get a surge on telephone lines as well.

sbwertz

My landline goes through a surge protector. I also have a little device my father made for me on my refrigerator and freezer. If there is a power failure, it keeps the power from going back on for five minutes. He said if there is a quick power failure that just goes off and right back on again, it can damage the compressor unless it has a few minutes to decompress before restarting. I know my old air conditioner had one of these, because it failed some years ago and had to be replaced. It was set up so that if the safety restart module failed, the compressor wouldn't turn on at all until it was replaced.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

My landline goes through a surge protector. I also have a little device my father made for me on my refrigerator and freezer. If there is a power failure, it keeps the power from going back on for five minutes. He said if there is a quick power failure that just goes off and right back on again, it can damage the compressor unless it has a few minutes to decompress before restarting. I know my old air conditioner had one of these, because it failed some years ago and had to be replaced. It was set up so that if the safety restart module failed, the compressor wouldn't turn on at all until it was replaced.

These are now built into the new refigs. In the older models that was not the case.

Top Bottom