Lidded box #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

This is my second box that I've actually finished. The tenon broke on my very first one so I didn't get the inside of the lid fully hollowed or sanded/finished. I used mesquite and based it on the Chinese box in Chris Stott's book that Marc's Oneway of Turning made a YT video of. It went through 2 design modifications. The first was when I was cutting the bead at the base and a big chunk flew out. The second was even worse, I was almost done and just finishing up the base after jam chucking it when my spindle gouge had a huge skipback and gouged the snot out of it beyond the halfway point. Fortunately I had enough wall thickness to be able to clean it up and finish it off but it was a shame to lose the nice spherical shape. Sanded to 600, EEE and homemade friction polish to finish it off. Far from perfect, but way better than the previous and I'm quite happy with it.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks guys!

That Mesquite is just so pretty. Nice shape and great finish Jay. What's up next?

Thanks Steve. Actually I just posted a mesquite "micro mortar & pestle" I made as a gag gift for a lady at work. She'll get a full size setup when the cooler weather comes. Two projects completed, it's been a good day.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've not done many, so I'm still a newbie. I like your grain match. The corrections you needed to make are not apparent in the final box, so well done.

As for me, these are not tough, but the first 5-10 will present "Lessons" That are well merited to note, save, review and learn from. I am more interested in shape and grain pattern now. These are "Pre-turning" considerations, easily forgotten, but easily incorporated.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom