Lidded Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc

Marc

I recently visited my Son and his family in Georgia and while there I got to visit Jonathon Brooks and his shop in South Carolina, which was a great time, but is another story.

This posting is about the PR Casting he gave me with the stipulation that I post a picture of the turned result. Here are a couple of pictures to fullfil my promise.

Thanks Jonathon.

Marc

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 255
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    21 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

That is just simply amazing. The shape is excellent and the finish is just beautiful. Congrats to both you and Jonathon.

Last edited:

Marc

So what kind of wood was used in the blank? That is an awsome bowl WOW

The only wood is the finial, which is from African Ebony. The rest of the blank is PR cast by Jonathon Brooks, master caster, at least that is how I think of him ;).

I think he was going for LSU school colors, but I might be remembering wrong.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great job on a miniature. The magnification needed to fill the frame with a mini shows off every flaw, and in this case, none are visible! Well done!

Brooks803

That came out awesome! Love the shape and your finish is flawless. How does the inside of the bowl look?

Now I'm getting excited to see how that "other" bowl blank comes out!

Marc

The inside has some polish residue that I still have to buff out, but it looks good other than that.

The other bowl is in design stage. Still thinking about how I want the knot holes to display, whether emphasizing the inside or the outside. Also, design inspiration is bouncing around still. Maybe a footed bowl? Not sure yet.

That came out awesome! Love the shape and your finish is flawless. How does the inside of the bowl look?

Now I'm getting excited to see how that "other" bowl blank comes out!

Marc

Sharp tools are a must! I personally prefer carbide, but there are some places, especially with parting off the lid, where good HSS is essential. Chucking it up good and tight is always smart. Hogging out the inside is an adventure, so a forstner bit came in play for that. Be ready to wear lots of long ribbons of PR and your lathe will look like a mad spider web.
Sanding and polishing are the big keys - micro mesh to 12000 and for this bowl, Hut plastic polish.

Top Bottom