Letting/Logos?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keenidiot

I gave my boss one of the pens I've made for Christmas.
He asked if I could add either some letting or the companies logo to to the pens. If I could he would buy them from me.

Now, off hand the two ways I can think of is woodturning, or one of those ironing sticker...things.
It's something I've thought a little about, but can't seem to find anything on.
Edit: Dang autocorrect. Lettering not letting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

option 1. Decal Application
Turn the blank profile to a smooth cylinder where you plan to apply the lettering and logo, and apply decal ... seal with CA and you can then build up over it with additional CA for protection as well as the desired profile.

Try to ensure that the profile isn't too extreme, to avoid distorting the lettering and logo images from the decal.

option 2. Laser Engraving
Either get yourself a laser engraver or find someone who can engrave for you ... and engrave the lettering and logo on the pen's surface. Seal with CA or simply finish over top to leave the engraving marks showing in the pen's surface.

PapaTim

A decal would let you add a logo with the least effort, learning curve and expense. It also allows you to use color. A laser engraver would cost a couple of thousand dollars with a rotary attachment for logo's. The learning curve would be higher and take longer. If it's only lettering, either is a good choice. A laser engraver to just do lettering would be much less expensive and lasering is permanent while the decal method you could start much sooner and for less investment.

Super Dave

There is a great article in the library on how to make decal pens. I made 6 this year for a co worker. They all came out great, you can't see the seams and edges. It's magic, they disappear.....

Dave

Paul in OKC

Get with a local trophy shop. If you can get them some art work for a logo, they can scan it in and laser engrave it. Names are usually a no brainier for them. On lighter woods it will look like fine wood burning. If it doesn't show well, I have used some gold rub-n-buff to fill in. You turn and finish the pens as usual before getting them engraved. (At least I do!)

Last edited:

OZturner

Get with a local trophy shop. If you can get them some art work for a logo, they can scan it in and laser engrave it. Names are usually a no brainier for them. On lighter woods it will look like fine wood burning. If it doesn't show well, I have used some gold rub-n-buff to fill in. You turn and finish the pens as usual before getting them engraved. (At least I do!)

Just adding to Paul's, suggestion for what it is worth.
You Would need to select a Trophy Shop has a 4th Rotating Axis, Lazer.
As most of their work is mainly Flat 3 Axis Name Plate Style.
Regards,
Brian.

Paul in OKC

Just adding to Paul's, suggestion for what it is worth.
You Would need to select a Trophy Shop has a 4th Rotating Axis, Lazer.
As most of their work is mainly Flat 3 Axis Name Plate Style.
Regards,
Brian.

Good point, but I have not seen one in the trophy shops I have used. If you do a name and a second line, they will do it one line at a time and rotate by hand. If you need a wrap type loge, then definitely they will need one.

Top Bottom