Letter Openers from 250 Year Old Spalted Horse Chestnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

I made these as part of a custom order for St. Peter's Church in Philadelphia. Their 250 year old Horse Chestnut tree was taken down last year and I was lucky enough to work with the arborist as it came down, picking some of the better pieces of wood.

After drying it, the spalting really started to show nicely. I stabilized all of these with cactus juice and used tung oil to finish them. I tested my skill using calipers and while I found them good for this particular project, I think I would have too much trouble using them with a finish like CA where there is so much more build up. My hats off to those who do :)

As always, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• StPeteLE.jpg
    StPeteLE.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 392
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Yeh, me too. Quite often it is the "story" that makes a beautiful object irresistable.

I entered a natural edge bowl in a show and it sat unsold for 4 days, then I decided to put the "story" next to the piece and it sold in 20 minutes.

Great work. Thanks for showing.

Bob.

airborne_r6

Those are really cool. I don't know how everyone else uses their calipers to get an exact fit with a CA finish but I have just started doing it and I turned the blank slightly undersized and applied plenty of CA, making the blank 1-2 thousands oversize. I then adjusted the fit by sanding down the thickness of the CA checking it with calipers, because I had turned the blank undersized I knew I wouldn't sand through the CA.

Top Bottom