Letter opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KCW

KCW

Ok, so I made a letter opener for a customer, and they loved the work, but want a letter opener with a sharper blade. Does anyone know of a kit that has a "sharp" blade? I'm not talking razor sharp, but he is saying that the opener has a tendency to tear chunks out of the envelope, rather than slice through it. Let me know what you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Most letter openers are dull and tend to tear rather than slice.

It helps to crease the envelope edge with your thumb nail before using the letter opener

KCW

Thanks Mal, I personally would not want a sharp letter opener, but my customer would like something a bit sharper. I used the deluxe chrome kit from PSI.

hilltopper46

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
A very hard wood with sharpened edges would do well. Personally, I have taken a couple of letter openers and sharpened the edges for the reason stated. I remember old letter openers from the '50s and '60s that did not tear the envelope. They were thinner and had a sharpened edge, not as much as a razor edge knife, but they didn't tear the envelope.

I use a HF type of 30 inch belt sander like this:
1 in. x 30 in. Belt Sander

In the past two years, I have sharpened the edges of two (in our office) without making them "razor" sharp and they work well for their intended use.

KCW

Thank you guys, I may have to try the wooden blade. I will have to see if he is up for it. What type of finish did you use on that Tony?

Last edited:

hilltopper46

It just lays around here on the desk - I never really did finish it.

If I were to finish it I would use wipe-on-poly on something like sycamore. On harder woods like Osage orange or cocobolo (as an example) I would just sand it to 600 grit and then buff it out.

Top Bottom