Let's help Al find his Yew!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Ok, I've been looking around for this "Royal Yew" he's been serching for. Here's my question; What, if any, is the difference bewtween "Royal" Yew and "English" Yew? English is what seems to turn up in searches FAR more than Royal. If Royal isnt a reay Yew type, then that may help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Ah, if that's the case and it's so darn hard to come by, I wonder if RonMc's buddy can hook that up?

Mark4583

CSU has some in there catalog "Royal Yew" But they offer two types.
Exhibition grade and Collector Grade.
Looks like either one would make a nice pen.
Anyone have a pic of one they turned?
Thanks

DocStram

See .... now here's a classic case of a guy having the Christmas Spirit (Skye, of all people) wanting to help a penturning comrade who is downtrodden (Me) and in need of Royal Yew. And what do the penturner linguists do? Why they start making cute little puns involving the word YEW. Well, I'll tell yew, yew guys kill the Chrismas Spirit. One day yewl see what it's like. This whole thing stinks ..... P-Yew.

Ok, on a serious note. I really appreciate Skye's intervention with this matter. CSUSA had Royal Yew. I immediately ordered 5. Then, the evil voodoo spirits took over my drill press. It wasn't pretty. I managed to make one great looking Stateman with the one blank that survived. I then called CSUSA and begged for more. They were out.

I've looked up the term Royal Yew and haven't come up with anything. I was thinking it was from England. The CSUSA catalog description is the only place I've ever seen the term Royal Yew.

So, if you have any Royal Yew ... Skye and I are willing to make a big trade for about 5 or 10 blanks. I can't go into details ... but, it involves that new lathe that Skye just won. Right, Skye?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As long as yew don't know what it looks like, I got a ton of yew for yew!!!

Yeah, the lathe is a nice start, but this is RARE yew (looks a lot like red oak, but yew don't know what yew want, right??)[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Skye

No prob Al. I did some searching and could only come up with like 8 refrences on all of the internet so I thought you may be chasing a ghost. At least it should be a little easier from here out.

If yew think I'm trading my lathe out, yew have another thing comin!

woodpens

I have a bunch of yew that was going to be for a cancer benefit project that never quite got off the ground. Do you have any pictures of the yew you are looking for?

DocStram

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />I have a bunch of yew that was going to be for a cancer benefit project that never quite got off the ground. Do you have any pictures of the yew you are looking for?

Take a look at the CSUSA catalog. Way towards the back, on the right side of the page, down near the bottom. They're calling it Royal Yew. I just bought some other yew in the classified but it's not the same as what CSUSA was selling. Do you know what kind of you Yew have? Can you post a photo? Thanks for letting me know.

ilikewood

Yew guys just knock it off!

Royal Yew is a naturally purple color (hence Royal). Some junipers and cedars get the same type of colors, but yew know....its just not yew.

DocStram

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Yew got it!

And this is the same Bill in Idaho who drives right past CSUSA everyday, he practically lives next door .... and did he bother to stop to get some of that Royal Yew when they had it for sale? Noooooooo..... instead he's trying to weasel his way in on my quest for yew. [;)]

But Bill, are you certain about Royal referring to the color blue? My stuff doesn't look blue at all.

ilikewood

Royal Yew is a naturally purple color (hence Royal). Some junipers and cedars get the same type of colors, but yew know....its just not yew.

I don't remember blue coming into my thoughts.[;)] Purpleish would be the color I'd put on it.

Yew're putting words in my mouth.[:eek:)]

BTW- yew better be quick with getting some or yew might hear some say, "Bill blue by-yew to get it first".

Linda Rhonstat (sp? on my heart.[:(]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Could this be a pen blank that is knighted?

Did someone say Shrubbery???

Maybe Knights of the Nicky, Nicky, YEW!!!!!

There is your royal Yew!!!

DocStram

I just talked with CSUSA .... again. I told them I was hoping they might have found an extra box of Royal Yew laying around. No such luck. But, they did say that it was definitely from England. They didn't confirm Weasel Bill in Idaho's idea that it was related to the color orange ... or violet ... or purple or whatever he had claimed in his previous post.

(Isn't it great that B.i.I. has such a great sense of humor? I mean, him letting me call him weasel and stuff. What a sport!

ilikewood

Just got my new sig line!! Better than what I had before (at least from what the people around call me). [:D]

BTW- gotta me nice...sundown on Chanukah....

But I guess that only applies if I was Jewish, but since I'm not I'll have to plan something for Al.[}:)]

woodpens

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />
Originally posted by woodpens
<br />I have a bunch of yew that was going to be for a cancer benefit project that never quite got off the ground. Do you have any pictures of the yew you are looking for?

Take a look at the CSUSA catalog. Way towards the back, on the right side of the page, down near the bottom. They're calling it Royal Yew. I just bought some other yew in the classified but it's not the same as what CSUSA was selling. Do you know what kind of you Yew have? Can you post a photo? Thanks for letting me know.

The picture looks like what I have. It came from Canada. Send me an email with your address, and I'll send you some blanks. How many do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom