Lets Discuss.............Things I do not get!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Interesting Replies and views. I understand all of them and agree with most. I appreciate Kendall standing up and giving a view from the other side. Not to argue or disagree but to give a view from a different angle here's my thoughts. The tattoos. I don't have any and don't care what others do with them. I don't agree with their decision to do so but it doesn't bother me. Here my deal with those that choose to have them. I've seen some that were funny, pretty and several other things. I can help but to look and try to figure out what they are or say. Here comes the issue. People that have them have told me they don't like people starring and judging. I'm not judging just curious and the older I get the more I stare because I can't see well enough to comprehend it at a glance. I'm going to put the video games and movies together. The sex and violence IMHO makes some accustomed to it so it's not as shocking as maybe it should be. I've seen some kids/young people that's done some horrible things that afterward didn't seem to realize what had happened. Once again Kendal not contradicting you but some can't keep fiction separate from reality. I, like you, can watch a rough movie and not bat an eye because I know that at the end of the show everyone goes home. If someone is really hurt or dies it bothers me. Some can't do that. Not to start a debate on Guns but it was mentioned. I have several but don't carry any. If you don't like them you don't have to have one. The one true factor is the bad people will have one if their supposed to or not. Thanks to all that have given their input. As mentioned before if you don't know how others are thinking or feeling you could be missing out on some key information.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Just some chit chat for the day. Here are a few things I do not grasp the entirety of and wonder why.????? You can comment on each others and or add some of your own. Not so much as petpeeves but as why the hecks?? Now I am of the older range of years gone by so maybe this has alot to do with it but still WHY????o_Oo_Oo_O

Huge one:: what is the fascination of all these tattoos.?? You see so many people walking around with their bodies loaded with tattoos. Both men and women. Some are getting older these days and they are starting to look like blobs. If God wanted us to look like billboards I am sure he would have included a chalk board on our rumps. What the heck??

Next is: Reality shows. There is and always was the networks doing game shows which are great. But these shows of Bachelors and Bachelorettes and stranded islands and so many other weird shows are unwatchable. I am not including talent shows. They are OK. Exposing oneself for all the world to see just does not make sense.

Todays youth. What is the saying, today's youth is wasted on the young. Why do todays kids have to stand out by dying their hair crazy colors, wearing pants around their ankles, rings hanging out of every part of their bodies and then some and again the tattoo thing?? What the heck??

Last one for me is I am a baseball fan and a huge NY Yankees fan but this observation is sport wide and can not figure out why. I know the sport has changed alot over the years and will continue as they so call try to attract the younger crowds. Good luck with that. But my thing is what is with all the jewelry these guys wear on the field. I can think of no other sport where guys wear so many chains and now earrings. Many have Mr T starter sets hanging around their necks. That has to be an annoyance not only when pitching with them but also batting and throwing. You never seen this years ago. We all know they are all rich and is this their way of showing off their wealth?? Could you imagine wearing all that bling in a football game??

OK now it is your turn. What say you?? What the Heck??
Congratulations John, you've turned into your father.:)

GraiDawg

amusing series of complaints there! like, right across the board. old people will never get young people, because we forget what we were like a youngsters, or at least paint a rosy picture of it.
I've never really understood collectors, from toys to guitars it seems a little weird after all you can only use so many at a time. then i look at how many hipflasks (or tools) i have and then i realise it's just other people they are weird

WriteON

old people will never get young people, because we forget what we were like a youngsters,
It would be fair to say if I was young today can't say I would not get a tat. However you would never hear RAP coming out of my Polks, AudioEngines or the Bose in the car. From my cold dead speakers. Bring on the hate mail and death threats.... No RAP... Long live Motown and classic Jazz. I have the pleasure of listening to this stuff for a lifetime. Never gets old.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but the whole video games cause violence is such a thinly veiled argument and I just can't take it when people use it. It comes down to parenting, and it goes back to my first post, look at the history of mankind, we have always been extremely violent and much more so in the past. If you don't teach your children right or wrong they are going to be influenced by their surroundings, a child can play the most violent video games and never hurt a fly, and people that were never exposed to things like that have done absolutely horrendous things.
I have to agree with you on that... violence to day is more for violence sake rather than from a cause....
I grew up in the '40... we played cowboys and indians with toy guns, "shooting" each other claiming the shootee was dead...
Can't say what has caused people to be mad at other people... maybe too many of us on the planet, living so close together like rabbets in a warren... who knows. Like kids, maybe it just a phase we are going through.
I live in the country, stay close to home, mind my own business and enjoy when I have company or visit someone.

jttheclockman

Congratulations John, you've turned into your father.:)
I thank you for that. I hope that I could at least fill one of his shoes.:) As we grow old we become that get off my lawn guy for sure. Kenny said the same thing I said to Kendall, wait you will too get old and you will be here and stating things like this. Hope he is still on the forum and looks back to this thread 20 years or so from now.

Someone brought up the RAP music thing and that is a good one also that I do not get. I too like my oldies and country music. Music that you can understand the words and not every other word is a cuss word. That is not music just someone trying to rhyme words and speak them. But that all ties into the culture of the youth today. Now do not get me wrong of course not all people of any age group follow the same paths. So please we here are not lumping everyone together. Again a friendly discussion.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Remember you are just practicing your penmaking skills and never will become a pro that does not need to practice any more so slow down and smell the roses.
Maybe he is isn't just practicing, John

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all." - Michelangelo Buonarroti

monophoto

When I read John's initial post, the thought that came to mind was 'Ah, a sign of geezerdom'. And I'm right there also - turning 76 in a few days.

But the other thought is that when we were kids (back in the dark ages), we did things that cause our grandparents to have similar reactions.

jttheclockman

Maybe he is isn't just practicing, John

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all." - Michelangelo Buonarroti
We all are practicing. Just like life, we are practicing being who we are. Tell me you don't make mistakes.

MRDucks2

Tattoos- have not, not a fan myself. However, if you take the time to ask folks the "why" behind a particular tattoo, there are some amazing stories of memories, events, love, prison, war on various levels, tribute.

Reality Shows - not much use for TV at any level.

Youth - droopy drawers in public disturb me. Not generally interested in anyone else's butt or underwear.

Baseball - another form of entertainment. If if you don't like something pick something different. I have enjoyed and fallen out of enjoying baseball, basketball, WWF, football, nascar, bowling all so far. I can enjoy any of them but not like I used too for various reasons. Curling… now that is still fascinating but I only watch every 4 years.

People who choose to talk about other people rather than talk to other people… that is moving up my peeve list these days.

MRDucks2

We all are practicing. Just like life, we are practicing being who we are. Tell me you don't make mistakes.
Not saying that at all. But saying that John Albert's "developing his skills" today is a significantly different level of "practice" than I, for instance, may ever even attempt. We are driven to different levels of achievement in everything we practice.

jttheclockman

Not saying that at all. But saying that John Albert's "developing his skills" today is a significantly different level of "practice" than I, for instance, may ever even attempt. We are driven to different levels of achievement in everything we practice.
Mike if you did not get my initial meaning let me spell it out. It was a shot at him because he took a shot at my thread which was posted in off topic. Not everything has to be about penmaking here. This was intended as a simple chit chat taking a break from pen making. Nothing more.

Last edited:

WriteON

This is/was a good discussion. I'm proud of the members here and proud to be an IAP member. If this discussion took place on a pool forum (that I had enough of) it would go south after a few posts. Bashing/attacks...uncalled for remarks etc. IAP tends to be a family friendly forum that usually is a pleasure to check in on. It's nice when a group clicks ...and why not be civil to each other. We're all the same. We are equal. We come from the same place. From between the legs.

BarryE

Some of us are old enough to remember when parents, teachers, and leaders of the day told us that Rock & Roll would be the ruination of America. It was said that Rock music led to drugs, free sex, protests, vandalism and and many other "unwanted behaviors"

Maybe they were right...the state if the world today all started with boomers and Rock. :rolleyes:

jttheclockman

Ran into this a couple times today so that is why I recalled this. Seen this so many times here in NJ and a few surrounding states and that is way too much window tint. I do not understand why people have to tint their windows beyond the legal amount allowed. The legal amount is enough to stop uv rays from having effects on interiors and still allows not only police officers to see the driver and passenger for safety reasons which I am sure we all can figure out. But it is also helpful for those that are driving on the roadways which have enough hazards. Come to a stop sign you can not see driver to make eye contact to see what their intentions are. Same goes for if you are walking in front of that stopped car. Did he see you is what you are asking yourself. The only reason for these dark tints is to hide illegal activity weather it is talking on cell phones, not wearing seat belts and so on. I am sure there will be some who will argue about privacy laws. Well on the road those are out the window. I guess cops do the best they can if there is anything they can do. I see cars with this dark tint ride by police cars and nothing happens when it is so obvious. I see this alot on vehicles that are all blacked out including tail lights. When they come on it is so hard to see them. So add this one to my list of I do not get it items.

Arnold

Some of us are old enough to remember when parents, teachers, and leaders of the day told us that Rock & Roll would be the ruination of America. It was said that Rock music led to drugs, free sex, protests, vandalism and and many other "unwanted behaviors"

Maybe they were right...the state if the world today all started with boomers and Rock. :rolleyes:
The 50's & 60's were the best years of my life minus a year in Vietnam...Rock may have started it but the world was a better place back then...Just my humble opinion...

Curly

I live by a highway and accept there is going to be noise from cars, trucks and motorcycles (even groups of up to a hundred) but why is it the Gold Wing type riders have to drive with a stereo blasting away? Ordinarily I leave it up to people to be the way they are and am not bothered by it but "I do not get!!!" why they can't get a wireless helmet?

magpens

I live by a highway and accept there is going to be noise from cars, trucks and motorcycles (even groups of up to a hundred) but why is it the Gold Wing type riders have to drive with a stereo blasting away? Ordinarily I leave it up to people to be the way they are and am not bothered by it but "I do not get!!!" why they can't get a wireless helmet?

I live in an otherwise quiet neighborhood ..... and I don't get why my next door neighbor washes his Harley (with illegal aftermarket pipes) for half and hour with the engine going and the (barely legal) stereo blaring that crappy stuff that no one in his right mind calls music.

I don't complain much about anything, but that violates my sensitivities enormously.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent, JT.

WriteON

Things I don't get. I watched Station 19 for the first time last night. (Recorded). Turned it off after 60 seconds. I do not care what people do behind closed doors but that was uncalled for viewing. If you watched it you know what I'm talking about. I'm tempted to never watch TV again if this is the stuff that gets thrown in our face. The modern times life style does not have to be on the air. And yes. I'm very judgmental

Last edited:

sbwertz

No tattoos. I'm 78 and they weren't "in" when I was young...not for women anyway. Reality shows...I like the cooking and baking shows. Kids...Each generation has to come up with a new way to outrage the previous generation. It's getting harder. I don't watch sports on TV so haven't noticed the jewelry trends.

I was in the military (Women's Army Corps) and I think that influenced my whole life in a number of ways. It taught me discipline, respect for authority, independence, and responsibility. My parents also taught me these things, but, like most kids, I didn't appreciate it at the time. (A crusty top sergeant got the message across, though!)

I have a concealed carry permit because I am a computer consultant and often go into offices at night to work on the computers when they are not in use during the day. I was mugged in a parking lot one night and my purse was stolen. I got my CC permit the next day. I carry when I feel I am in a hazardous situation. (I also have a brown belt in Judo, but at 78 it doesn't do me much good any more!)

Last edited:

Arnold

No tattoos. I'm 78 and they weren't "in" when I was young...not for women anyway. Reality shows...I like the cooking and baking shows. Kids...Each generation has to come up with a new way to outrage the previous generation. It's getting harder. I don't watch sports on TV so haven't noticed the jewelry trends.

I was in the military (Women's Army Corps) and I think that influenced my whole life in a number of ways. It taught me discipline, respect for authority, independence, and responsibility. My parents also taught me these things, but, like most kids, I didn't appreciate it at the time. (A crusty top sergeant got the message across, though!)

I have a concealed carry permit because I am a computer consultant and often go into offices at night to work on the computers when they are not in use during the day. I was mugged in a parking lot one night and my purse was stolen. I got my CC permit the next day. I carry when I feel I am in a hazardous situation. (I also have a brown belt in Judo, but at 78 it doesn't do me much good any more!)
As a former rifle and pistol instructor I always said if a person has a CCW permit they should carry full time where legal....It is better to have a firearm with you and not need it than to need it and not have it..If you need it and don't have it, you might never need it again...Thank you for your service...

randyrls

This phenomenon I refer to as "Mutual Amnesia". Children do not remember that their parents were their age at one time. Parents forget that they were the age of their children at one time.

Fortunately, the internet wasn't around when I was a kid, so all my mistakes are forgotten! o_O:eek:

Top Bottom