Let me tell you a secret

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Now don't tell anyone else.....
DSC_8737.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Wow ! . What a GREAT picture, Brad !!

I should know, but what is the name of the animals ?
Thanks Mal. They are Rock Wallaby's, a smaller cousin of the Kangaroo.
We have a colony of them living in the bush near our house.
This log is about 30 meters from my kitchen window, you will see them sitting there most mornings and afternoons.
They hide in the cool shady bush in the hotter part of the day.

magpens

Thanks, Brad .... they look like they would make nice pets .... ( dream on, Mal !!! )

But on the other hand, they are probably a whole heap of fun watching them in the wild !!

The wallabies themselves are so beautifully sharp in the photograph, and the slightly blurred green foliage background makes them just jump out of the screen.

You probably used a telephoto lens. . The picture is just perfect in every way.

We used to live on a somewhat rural large city block in Blackwood, S.A., close enough to some bush that animals would stray across our property occasionally. . Many, many beautiful birds, of course, including these sulfur-crested cockatoos . .

1567633928752.png

. . I sure missed them when we left. . Nothing like that where we live now ... just pesky, ugly, noisy crows that destroy the lawn scratching for bugs.

Last edited:

Ironwood

I know some people who have had a kangaroo for a pet, but its not really the done thing here, most are happy to see them in the wild.
We did have 2 that got to the stage that we could hand-feed them, but they end up being a problem, making a mess on the verandah etc. The Bush Turkey was even worse. We don't feed any of the wildlife anymore, we let them eat their natural food which is all around.

The photo was taken with a Nikon D7100 and Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 lens, I have a 600mm lens, but the Sigma gives better photos if you can get close enough.

We don't get the Sulphur-crested Cockies, or Crows on our property, though hundreds of other varieties, many beautiful. The only Cockatoos we get here are the Red-tailed Black Cockies, they come to eat the Gumnuts.
These were taken with the 600mm lens, very strong backlighting unfortunately

Female.
DSC_7995.jpg

Male.
DSC_8005.jpg

Ironwood

Here is another "Hopper on the Log" photo. This one was taken with the 600mm lens through my kitchen window, I put the lens hood up against the glass and shot through the glass window. It worked better than I expected.
DSC_8696.jpg

magpens

I like that one, with the tail coming forward between the legs !! . Mind you, not quite the same quality of picture if you compare the sharpness of the detail in the fur, ears, and facial features.

I like those black cockies but the pic quality is compromised by the very bright background. . Never saw any black ones in S.A.

Larryreitz

I had a business trip "down under" many years ago. I was fortunate enough to make it to Mackay for a couple of days. The things I remember most were the Great Barrier Reef an the Mud Crabs. Great pictures and I can tell from your equipment you are serious about it. Thanks for posting.
Larry

Top Bottom