Let’s see your Workspace/storage solutions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey guys!

So, I've done some searching around on the forums here for photos of how people set up their shops (& storage solutions!!) but I'm not having too much luck with finding too much all in one place. Anyone want to to share photos of their shop/work space and how they organize the collections of wood/blanks? I'm trying to figure out how I want to get things organized, and one month I will arrange it, love it and then realize it's not working for me and start over. I'd love to see your set ups and how you have your workspaces all arranged for inspiration!

If you are interested in my more particular set up issues I'm trying to figure out:
We recently bought a house that included a workshop that's 40x50 and divided in half. One half is for me and the other is for my hubbby who likes to tinker on cars and such (he's a mechanical engineer). So I have a large amount of space to work with & it came with a built in bench and tons of shelves along all the walls (& a peg board, but that doesn't help with wood storage😆). The work bench is not super "flat" but it's totally usable for now. The shelves are great to have, but vary in depth of 6 inches to maybe 10 inches in some areas and over the ages they have started to warp a bit in some areas so they aren't level (they lean a bit towards the opening, so anything round tries to roll off if you aren't careful).

I'm not a "dedicated to one thing" woodworker, I dabble in various things (making wooden toys, kitchen tools, etc; not that I'm very good at any of it, but I have fun) but I'm also loving my lathe and pen making, so I'm still trying to figure out the best way to organize everything. I like my power tools where they are (well except the drill press, but I'm building a table for that as soon as the humidity calms down!) but it's organizing all the "wood stuff" that I struggle with.

I don't use large pieces of wood (plywood sheets, or anything longer than 5 feet because that is the limit of my Honda to get the wood home) so I don't have large wood to store- just the smaller stuff i turn into smaller stuff. I don't buy a lot of blanks; I make them myself out of larger pieces of wood. I usually cut them as I need them (with a few extras at times) and so I don't have a massive "ready supply of blanks" I need to store, but I mostly have assorted wood pieces I try to keep organized and make all my blanks from that stuff. I "scrap dive" at my local woodcrafts "$5 per Lb off-cuts bin" all the time (2-5 times a month?) and I end up with lots of bits of quality wood (mostly exotics) that range from 1/4 inch to 1 inch thick boards in all lengths and board widths. I try to sort them by thickness for easy finding (because my other projects are more thickness based where as my pens blanks can be glued up if I want segmented blanks).

Long term I'm not loving this arrangement, it's far too much valuable shelf space to be using for odd piles of wood, (which I don't need the shelves right now, but overtime I'm guessing they will fill up!). Right now all my pen kits and premade blanks are hanging out on the other side of the shop with my lathe, but I'm realizing that is bad set up as well; I go grab blanks and a kit and then head back to the bench on the other side of the room to do all the gluing/drilling and then back to the lathe to turn and then back to the bench to finish the pen, so those shelves would seem to be better suited for blank and kit storage. But with the humidity here (&my need to stand there and stare at the wood to get inspired to make assorted items) I want to keep them laying flat and visible. Any ideas?

the attached video is from when it was empty (this is my half of the shop). Currently I'm letting my hubby borrow some of the back half of this space to tear down an MGB he has (since I have better lighting & shelving on my side to see what's hes doing), so I can't use that area to store wood. Attached are a few shots from this morning of my haphazard wood storage. Also, the entire shop is piped with PVC air lines, but don't worry, I won't be taking the risk to use them! I have a pancake compressor I can pull out if I need some air.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.MOV
    12.6 MB
  • 41E52C9B-B298-4898-93C7-68FB707CD838.jpeg
    41E52C9B-B298-4898-93C7-68FB707CD838.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 73EC4EDD-EAC2-46F7-88E3-A818FF703030.jpeg
    73EC4EDD-EAC2-46F7-88E3-A818FF703030.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 189
  • D1AF4251-FF5F-4D67-88D5-2A55CD9E6E22.jpeg
    D1AF4251-FF5F-4D67-88D5-2A55CD9E6E22.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I don't typically buy pen blanks and I don't buy long length boards. My shop is on the small side, 11x 25. It's a basement shop so I'm able to keep my wood just outside my working area. I keep it on a wire shelf, so air
EE22B0B5-FE83-4BE2-BDFF-EC3504F94C55.jpeg
can circulate around it. The basement is climate controlled.

I don't typically buy pen blanks and I don't buy long length boards. My shop is on the small side, 11x 25. It's a basement shop so I'm able to keep my wood just outside my working area. I keep it on a wire shelf, so air View attachment 309608can circulate around it. The basement is climate controlled.
This is so nicely organized! I need to start buying "board foot" lumber, but I'm addicted to getting lots of little random bits from the bin 😆 but I like what you have going!

Tons of great info here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I'm jealous of your space. I have a 12x18 and have put every thing on wheels. It's like reverse Tetris to get enough room to work.

Ray
I'll check the link out!
yes, we lucked out with such a great space! The other side of the building is full height, so maybe my hubby will put a car lift in there someday, but I'm enjoying my new space. I've gone from living in coastal CA (low 70's mostly year round) to the south where it was 95 today and about 70% humidity so I need to invest in a few more floor fans to really be able to enjoy the space this summer 😆☺️

howsitwork

I use " really useful boxes" to store same sort of kit together. Should label them but….

I have boards stored on wall shelving brackets until cut up , then it starts to get messy😳. I did used to cut blanks to size then match up with the kits and keep in bags carefully ( honest I did 🤞🤞) but then got a bit apcarried away blank cutting some walnut , some ash , holly and Yew ( there's a lot of blanks hiding in a 12 by 4" holly blank you know !) and it has spiralled a bit.

What I really need is a club meet to take along some blanks for the raffle so maybe if the July meeting goes ahead….?

Other have exposed themselves to ridicule so here goes…..

the theory 87F5E8BC-FA66-42A6-9722-15E30F9B7D65.jpeg92A3F134-CC2B-4403-B52F-40E48C9B3D88.jpeg

the problem develops.
56E9D77A-D13D-4DDE-9D0E-6C4DFFDD5DC1.jpeg
I start fancying following ken's example so laminating and strip cutting happens
A3DEA9BA-99F3-4105-9304-48E0F3DB13C0.jpeg

Bulk storage

65E23ED9-F793-4CDB-815F-60CDB820ED2B.jpeg

and don't ask about the garage and workshop loft spaces…..

So I'd follow the theory not the practice if I were you.

I use " really useful boxes" to store same sort of kit together. Should label them but….

I have boards stored on wall shelving brackets until cut up , then it starts to get messy😳. I did used to cut blanks to size then match up with the kits and keep in bags carefully ( honest I did 🤞🤞) but then got a bit apcarried away blank cutting some walnut , some ash , holly and Yew ( there's a lot of blanks hiding in a 12 by 4" holly blank you know !) and it has spiralled a bit.

What I really need is a club meet to take along some blanks for the raffle so maybe if the July meeting goes ahead….?

Other have exposed themselves to ridicule so here goes…..

the theory View attachment 309656View attachment 309657

the problem develops.
View attachment 309658
I start fancying following ken's example so laminating and strip cutting happens
View attachment 309659

Bulk storage

View attachment 309660

and don't ask about the garage and workshop loft spaces…..

So I'd follow the theory not the practice if I were you.
Yes…. My shop was a barren wasteland in late November and it had its first scroll saw and 1"sander… now 6.5 months later I'm contemplating large scale machines and wondering about lumber storage 🤦🏻‍♀️
but I like your ideas, I'll just try to keep myself under control! 😆

jttheclockman

1623806957295.png
1623806957295.png
I store materials in various ways. I have 3 of these rolling tool boxes. One has all my blanks in, another has all my segmenting metals tubes and plastics in. The third is overflow but will house casting stuff mainly. I then have smaller rolling workbench carts for dedicated tools and on the bottom shelves is where I will store the pen kits. I have 3 of those also. I also buy many of the small container boxes for watch parts and specialty materials. Then for storage wood I have built shelves in the laundry room to hold many of the long boards. But I have also taken over the game room and have many short boards stacked against the walls. I collect woods of all kinds (never find on the road or branches) I buy all my exotic hardwoods in board form and rip down to what I need from various sources. My collection of hardwoods is well over $10,000 worth. I have a scrollsawing business that I use many woods for also. Small pen stuff you can store in a box. Even if you get into segmenting. My shop is a full blown woodworking shop and I made most my cabinets and shelves and tables. If you are just doing pens stuff your storage will not overwhelm you. There are many tools and methods to store things. Now you can become consumed and become addicted to stock up and store things like a squirrel storing away for the winter. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you! I hadn't seen these ones yet! ☺️
View attachment 309684View attachment 309684
I store materials in various ways. I have 3 of these rolling tool boxes. One has all my blanks in, another has all my segmenting metals tubes and plastics in. The third is overflow but will house casting stuff mainly. I then have smaller rolling workbench carts for dedicated tools and on the bottom shelves is where I will store the pen kits. I have 3 of those also. I also buy many of the small container boxes for watch parts and specialty materials. Then for storage wood I have built shelves in the laundry room to hold many of the long boards. But I have also taken over the game room and have many short boards stacked against the walls. I collect woods of all kinds (never find on the road or branches) I buy all my exotic hardwoods in board form and rip down to what I need from various sources. My collection of hardwoods is well over $10,000 worth. I have a scrollsawing business that I use many woods for also. Small pen stuff you can store in a box. Even if you get into segmenting. My shop is a full blown woodworking shop and I made most my cabinets and shelves and tables. If you are just doing pens stuff your storage will not overwhelm you. There are many tools and methods to store things. Now you can become consumed and become addicted to stock up and store things like a squirrel storing away for the winter. Good luck.
I hadn't thought about tool boxes… but I like it! I'm a hot mess when it comes to keeping my house organized (I'm trying but the motivation isn't there) but in my workshop I like a clean & organized look & while Adam Savage (who I watch on YouTube) loves "visual cacophony" I find it drives me up the wall and overstimulates/stresses me out. So tool boxes might be a good solution… they roll, the store things away & visually look like your space is clean 🤔 I might have to visit my brand new harbor freight down the road and see what they have in stock. (I love a good craftsman like my grandpa, dad and husband have, but that seems like pricy overkill for wood storage 😆).

jttheclockman

I have noticed Home Depot will run sales on some of their Husky line of tool boxes that are as good or better price wise than HF. Something to watch for.
No where close to what HF was running when I bought these. Any sales will be hard to come by these days. They are not putting anything on sale.

PatrickR

Lots of shelves. Heavy things on casters. Boards on pipe set in 2x4's attached to wall studs. The best useful storage I've found for hand power tools is far left, shelves and just let the cords hang. Shoe boxes work great for small items. Not seen is a large armoire from goodwill that I customized the interior for all my hand tools and a stereo. Have fun making the space yours!
DC7A180F-B8D1-4774-834A-5E87362EA2F3.jpeg

howsitwork

Lots of shelves. Heavy things on casters. Boards on pipe set in 2x4's attached to wall studs. The best useful storage I've found for hand power tools is far left, shelves and just let the cords hang. Shoe boxes work great for small items. Not seen is a large armoire from goodwill that I customized the interior for all my hand tools and a stereo. Have fun making the space yours!View attachment 309749
Patrick ,

I can see floor space ! !! Or new tool acquisition space as I prefer to think of it.

In my workshop , apparently (I am told 😳) that's practically heresy! Even new dog is struggling to find a snoozing space so might ( repeat might ! ) have to sort out and throw a few un needed things out. My rolling tool cabinet is in the garage which is also kinda full now the cement mixer is in there ready for use 🤦‍♂️

Bats

I can see floor space ! !! Or new tool acquisition space as I prefer to think of it.

In my workshop , apparently (I am told 😳) that's practically heresy! Even new dog is struggling to find a snoozing space
You think that's bad, mine's too claustrophobic to even turn around for a panoramic shot.

My "shop" is crowded into a narrow furnace room. I've been wondering whether anyone would notice if I put the furnace out on the curb to make room for a table saw.

-Bats

PatrickR

Patrick ,

In my workshop , apparently (I am told 😳) that's practically heresy! Even new dog is struggling to find a snoozing space so might ( repeat might ! ) have to sort out and throw a few un needed things out. My rolling tool cabinet is in the garage which is also kinda full now the cement mixer is in there ready for use 🤦‍♂️
I'm lucky to have a large space, about 15'x20'. My solution was to move everything I could onto the walls.

rfas

Here's my humble little shop space. It's a single car bay of a 3 car garage, so I have roughly 10' x 12'. Everything except the table saw is on wheels, so when I'm working I back the car out of the other side and roll my tools out to where I need them.

Attachments

• FD91CC26-B842-4440-8027-BBA44CFF79BF.jpeg
    FD91CC26-B842-4440-8027-BBA44CFF79BF.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom