Lemonade…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Life handed me lemons today as I turned a couple of items before the playoffs. I am blessed with a wife the likes football so I went to the shop on a mission this morning. I was not hurrying, just purposeful.

Task 1 - Finish a Diamond Knurl Rollerball in bocote. The blanks were tubed and sanded flush. As I turned the cap I heard a non- typical sound. It sounded hollow! I looked and the blank had separated from the tube on one end just a bit. Lemon! It could have been a catastrophic fail if I continued. I added CA, sprayed and went on with the pen body which was routine. After the cap cured I turned the remainder without issue. Whew!

Task 2 - Shave set using desert Ironwood. I turned the brush handle first. All went well until a large chunk flew by me. The end away from the threads looked bad at first. Lemon! After very very careful turning I ended up with a very comfortable, though not typical handle. When turning the razor handle I again heard strange noises coming from the blank. Lemon! Upon inspection I saw voids that were a bit deep. Black rubberized CA to the rescue. That stuff takes a while to cure, but after it looked like the void was filled perfectly. It faces you in the photo and to me looks great.

Moral of the story, learn to fix the lemons well and enjoy the lemonade.

A woodworker friend told me that pros fix mistakes better than amateurs. Words to live by.

Enjoy the games!

Attachments

• DB61C03E-C6F4-435A-BBFA-FC4F5100C45B.jpeg
    DB61C03E-C6F4-435A-BBFA-FC4F5100C45B.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 9852EA2C-ADBE-4FAE-A50A-3A57E809AE46.jpeg
    9852EA2C-ADBE-4FAE-A50A-3A57E809AE46.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 89
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InkyMike

I had a lemons moment with shop equipment a couple weeks back. The cheap drill press if had for years finally bit the dust. I found a great deal on a 1957 Delta Rockwell drill press, so I snagged that.

Then, I pulled the stand off of it and used it to mount a work light and dust collection hose that I'm able to sit right behind my lathe. It works great!

Attachments

• 7CB5B8EA-A2DA-4333-9C44-B23A550EB5E6.jpeg
    7CB5B8EA-A2DA-4333-9C44-B23A550EB5E6.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom