Leland, Washington State

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leland

Hey fellow turners. Names Leland and I live in Longview Washington. I am a self taught artist and have tried several mediums. Painting, drawing, design, glass, tried metal work but found out I couldn't get a handle on welding, photography and my favorite, woodworking.
I'm not one to stick to the norm of things. My friends say that I like to play out in left field. Right now I am working on my 5th segmentation piece. It is a SeaHag Mermaid. This will be the 2nd mermaid that I have done to the size of about 48 inches long and about 28 inches wide. The piece will consist of 264 pieces.
I started turning pens and pencils just a few weeks ago. A friend of mine no longer wished to do it so I bought out his turning supplies. I got hooked. It is nice to have something to do that the results are quick, and I find it very relaxing. I have sold a few and given away a few and I just can't get over the fact the people want more. As I have said I don't stay with the norm so I end up being very creative with these. My hands are rather large so I tend to turn a thicker barreled pen. Everyone seems to like and they keep asking for more.
So far I just have used wood blanks and have been combining woods and all sorts of stuff. I haven't ventured into the acrylics yet. Turning them isn't the problem, it is the finishing that I don't know anything about. Any advice would be great on that subject, although I have been doing a little reading. I order my stuff from Penn state but yet to find a site that offers a more wide verity of bands, clips and tips.
Anyway, this is fun and I am glad that I stumbled across this site. Haven't had a real chance to sit down and read but I am looking forward to it.
My wife asked why I am doing this and I simply replied that your are never to old to learn and what you learn will always stay with you so why not have some fun doing it.
As I have said, I'm glad to be here, hope learn and hope to make some new friends.:handshake:
Leland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Leland from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Welcome,
The CA finish is quite popular because of the shine and the durability. Basically spread several layers of CA glue on a pen, let it dry then micro mesh to a shine. Just be careful not to glue the bushings to the blank.

Top Bottom