Legit or Lucky

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pjohnson

Pjohnson

I purchased some bottle stoppers recently and went down to WoodCraft today to pick up a mandrel. As usual I did not think to measure the size of the threads before I left.

I guessed 1/4" and guessed wrong - I should have purchased the 3/8". It was too late to drive back and I really wanted to try a bottle stopper.

To solve my dilemma I found a 3/8" carriage bolt, cut it to length, used a washer and 2 nuts to tighten up the bolt to the blank, and used my jacobs chuck. To my suprise it worked quite well and turned straight.

So now my question - I this a legitimate method or was I just lucky - saftey and results?

Thanks for your input.

PJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tangoman

Bottle stoppers

G'day P.j,

The way you've turned those stoppers is exactly how I do it all the time - I'm too tight to buy anything if I can do it another way!

FWIW - you can use a length of the bolt/studding as a mandrel for a closed end pen and cap !

Regards,
Cam

PJ as long as what you are doing is safe it's legit. And I think what you are doing is safe. Have fun with the stoppers. You have a lot more "creativeness" (if that is a word) with stoppers than pens. The shapes you can come up with are infinite.

Mike

Pjohnson

Thank you all for your replies -- It seemed too simple to be right ... :)

And, Mike ... Thank you for the sale - these are going to be fun!

Top Bottom