Leftovers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska,

I finally got around to using up the leftover parts from my Blue Titanium / Rhodium hybrid cigar kit. Just to see how it would look, I didn't dye the Maple blue this time. I think it still turned out OK with only the little bit of blue highlights on the clip, center band, and nib.

Regards,
Dave

One Pen, three different views as it was rotated:
IMG_1347 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1348 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1349 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

David, it's a very nice looking pen, the maple looks good uncolored. Plus, I like that there is a bit of birds-eye visible, but not so much that it is over-bearing. I'm tired of birds-eye maple that's overloaded with eyes. It's mostly, all I've used over the years, when building things other than pens. It and curly maple was what most customer's requested. They didn't mind the price they had to pay, as most of it was paid for with tax dollars. For some reason, they all wanted something made out of it for their offices. Offices at home, not at the government buildings like they are supposed to be. They may be on display at their government office, but only for a limited time. When I burned wood, most of what I burned over the years, was birds-eye and curly maple. It's what grows behind home, here's more there than any ten woodworkers could use. So yeah, it's nice, but it's nothing special to me.

Len

jttheclockman

I think these are the best of the lot and to me the light colored tan wood just goes with that blue. Mixing up the kit does have an appeal to it and is not overpowering so it works well in my opinion.

egnald

When I burned wood, most of what I burned over the years, was birds-eye and curly maple. It's what grows behind home, here's more there than any ten woodworkers could use. So yeah, it's nice, but it's nothing special to me.

Len

Len,
Isn't it funny how different everybody sees things. I have a friend from work here in Nebraska that built a new house last fall. He built all of his cabinets from scratch using Maple and boards that had eyes or curl he disposed of as junk wood. So, I have pretty much a lifetime supply of figured Maple pen blanks. - Dave

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I will take all the birdseye maple you have. That and true curly maple are beautiful natural woods. I put them up there with burl woods. Love mother natures canvas and palate of woods. To me they are accent woods that stand out and make a statement. I tried years ago and really would love to develop the technique of coloring curly maple with various dyes to achieve certain colors. I followed a couple finishers over the years and and never really could master it. One of those things I wish I pursued more in my life time as a woodworker.

JohnU

Maple is one of my favorite woods to turn. It shows It's character very well and is easy to finish with it's smooth grain. Seems to work well with all platings too. Love the pen!

Top Bottom