Leftover pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nobodyparticular

Here is one made from leftovers from a small box I made. The wood is walnut, oak, and maple.

DSC00894.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thank you for your kind words. I have to admit that it was not nearly as hard as the result makes believe - I assembled the pattern from wedges, glued together to a block, and I cut a makeshift pen blank from that.

jttheclockman

Really like the work you have going on here. Do you happen to have a photo or two of the blank before hand?? Or can you explain how you got the pattern to wrap around the blank?? Maybe if we can see the sides of the pen too. Can not see how you can do that from a flat pattern. How thick was the blank?? This is not easy to do. Maybe missing something here. Thanks.

Really like the work you have going on here. Do you happen to have a photo or two of the blank before hand?? Or can you explain how you got the pattern to wrap around the blank?? Maybe if we can see the sides of the pen too. Can not see how you can do that from a flat pattern. How thick was the blank?? This is not easy to do. Maybe missing something here. Thanks.
Ah, maybe I should have made it clear that the pattern does not wrap around the blank - here is what it looks like 90° around the pen:

1609783803547.png

Theoretically, it is of course possible to glue a blank that has the same "3D magic" pattern all around the pen. This challenge is on my list of things to do, and I have put some thought into it, but I have not quite untied the knot in my brain yet...

Here is another one with the pen in the open position (apologies for the bad focus at the ends):

1609783902890.png

I have not taken any photos of the "blank" I used, but this is the block I cut it from:

1609783950753.png

It was originally about twice as thick as it is now (ignoring the base plate I used for glueing and workholding), and I cut off one slice for the box inlay, and a thicker one for the pen. I then cut the pen slice in two parts to make the two pieces for the pen from.

jttheclockman

OK that explains things better. See when people show pens they show the best side. Being a segmenter I know a few things that just are not possible if cutting from a flat block. Now if you do this in staves then you may have something. I am working on stave work in the future. Right now tied up with a few other pen ideas. Need to make a easy sled to cut staves safely because they need to be small and thin. Thanks for showing the other side. I do like the pattern. Always did in box making. It has that 3D look.

Top Bottom