Leather pen finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I just turned a leather pen and wondering what kind of finish I should use. The leather is attached with CA. Wondering if I should use an oil finish? If so what do you recommend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

How did you attach it? Is it wrapped or stacked I turned the leather pen you see here by stacking leather scraps. Then I finished it with CA glue. Since it was edge all around, it absorbed a lot of CA glue, but it finished nicely. About 50% of the folks who see it guess what it is the first time.

Steve Leather.jpg

keithbyrd

How did you attach it? Is it wrapped or stacked I turned the leather pen you see here by stacking leather scraps. Then I finished it with CA glue. Since it was edge all around, it absorbed a lot of CA glue, but it finished nicely. About 50% of the folks who see it guess what it is the first time.

SteveView attachment 238078
I stacked it. Was hoping to get some of the leather feel - hopefully the Ca will have a soft feel!

dogcatcher

Lots of ways to finish the leather. To keep the leather feel I glue and stack the leather, then clamp in a press to really squeeze the leather tight. then drill and turn, and finish with a soaking of linseed oil. I suggest a search on Google for leather finish for knife handles.

MTViper

Oh yeah one more thing, after I put glue on all the pieces of leather and stacked them up, I glued a wooden cap, drilled to fit the tube on each end. When it came time to square the ends, I used the pen mill to square off the wooden ends. The wood pieces helped compress the leather and hold the stack in place. It provided a nice accent after it was turned.

DiemenDesign

Has anyone tried wrapping the tube rather than stacking pieces? I've got some black Kangaroo Leather that I want to show the texture, but I also don't want the seam coming apart, or have a very noticeable joint edge.

Top Bottom