Leather Copper Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jon-wx5nco

Jon-wx5nco

I finished my first leather pen last night. I punched out all the squares and glued everything up Sunday evening. I am some what pleased with the result. If you look real close, you can see some "hairs" or whatever in the grain of the leather. I don't know if sanding with MM on the leather will cure that or if thats just a "character" mark...

I didn't know how to stack the leather... Do you stack it back side to front side or alternate back side to backside then front to front? I did the alternating meathod this time. On my next one, I will try stacking them facing the same direction

leathercigar002.jpg

All comments, suggestions, and critiques are welcome
Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Jon, that is the best leather pen I have seen. I think you can fetch $125.00 for that one and someone will kill to own it.

jskeen

That's Sharp! I like the uniform look of the leather you used. Most of what I use has a much more distinct line between the layers. As for how to stack the layers, it's strictly a personal aesthetic thing, some people like one, some the other. Some people like a random look, but most prefer some visible pattern.

You got a more refined finish on that one that I usually go for on mine. I think that if you are wanting that "glass smooth" look, you might try doing your final sanding before you start finishing with sandpaper on some sort of rigid backer (i use a square pen blank, but whatever is handy will work" You just want to take off as much of the harder sections as you do the softer bits. Sandpaper on a rigid backer doesn't remove more of the soft stuff the way it does if you just hold it with your fingers. That may take care of your "Hairs" issue too.

Great Job, keep on turning!
James

Top Bottom