Learned few new things today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Try using thin CA like medium is used and look for the same result. Try gluing a tube with thin or filling a small gap and expecting a good result. Do it second time to see if a better result results.... (huh...a better result results?...is there a word for that).
Try peeling CA off off your fingers/hand and expecting it to come off. Not exactly Mensa

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Lesson 12 have an easy open or spray bottle of CA remover AT EASY REACH , or acetone at a push .

Lesson 13 DEEP THEORETICAL ONE - the length of time needed to plan a project is directly related to the number of Hobnobs ( cookies ? ) left in the packet and coffee consumed. Unless It's a really big project when a BBQ and buddies maybe required.😌

1080Wayne

To follow on from a theme common above, No matter how much you shake it , the last 3 drops go down your leg. Interestingly I am told this also seems to apply to ladies but none of them will explain what they shake???👋

Or to put it a bit more poetically , as my older cousin does :
`No matter how you shake and dance
The last drop will mark your pants`

sbwertz

I was going to say, the tommy bars on a 4 jaw chuck or pen chuck. I've launched them more than once. If they don't come out, on a small lathe they will lodge on the ways and stall the motor.

WriteON

If you drop one of the tommy bars off the chuck into the pile of shavings behind the lathe, it will somehow move a foot deep and a foot into the pile away from where it landed.
Everything gets legs. The farthest distance between 2 points is the item you dropped. However dropping a spring rules. Nothing can top that. It's a trump card...it's a wildcard, a joker.

sbwertz

Everything gets legs. The farthest distance between 2 points is the item you dropped. However dropping a spring rules. Nothing can top that. It's a trump card...it's a wildcard, a joker.
Its gone for good. Especially one of those little pen springs.

leehljp

Member Liaison
My house and shop eat things. I can have something in my hand one minute and the next minute it's GONE! And when it finally reappears, it is RIGHT IN PLAIN SIGHT.

I learned from this very thing. I only buy tape measures that are YELLOW or LOUD Yellow/Green. If I am looking at a new hand tool, and it is between two or three brands, I choose the one that is the loudest color. Red can sit in a shadow and hide. Blue, black, gray and dark green tools can hide in broad daylight outside on a flat sheet of white plywood. NO Flat colors in orange or hot pink. They absorb eyesight and become invisible too. BRIGHT shiny colors for tools!

More4dan

If I could just somehow attach one of those electronic tiles to my chuck key?!?!

Or go old school and but it on a chain around my neck. (A breakaway chain for safety of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

sbwertz

If you drop one of the tommy bars off the chuck into the pile of shavings behind the lathe, it will somehow move a foot deep and a foot into the pile away from where it landed.
I have a strong magnet on a three foot long handle. When I drop a bushing into the sawdust, I just poke around in the pile with that magnet until I hear a "click".

WriteON

I have a strong magnet on a three foot long handle. When I drop a bushing into the sawdust, I just poke around in the pile with that magnet until I hear a "click".
That is a great idea. Never would have thought of it. I have various magnets on telescoping poles. However I'm still old school and enjoy crawling, bending, getting dirt on knees, elbows.

leehljp

Member Liaison
😃
I don't know if you have been keeping up with the "Oak Island" treasure hunt, but two years ago, they drilled a hole about 10 to 12 inches in diameter down to 180? ft. and found nothing. As an after thought, one of the guys threw a coin into the shaft. They pulled the pipe up and drilled here there and yonder. Then a few weeks ago, drilling again about 10 ft away, they pulled up some stuff from 180? ft down and found the coin - 10 ft from where it went in.

Life seems to work the same in LATHE Money holes and treasure digs. Lots of money thrown in and an occasional coin comes back! 🤣

I have one of those that LOWE's sells... have yet to find anything in the sawdust... usually have to do like Writeon... get down, crawl behind the lathe and sift through the sawdust by hand til I find it... some takes an hour or more. Fortunately, the tommy bars are larger and have red handles, so they come up pretty quickly.

sbwertz

I have one of those that LOWE's sells... have yet to find anything in the sawdust... usually have to do like Writeon... get down, crawl behind the lathe and sift through the sawdust by hand til I find it... some takes an hour or more. Fortunately, the tommy bars are larger and have red handles, so they come up pretty quickly.

Mine has a rare earth magnet on it and a bushing will jump half a foot to it on a smooth surface! You could attach a separate stronger rare earth magnet to yours to increase its pull. That's what I did at the blind center. I had one of the telescoping magnets and just added a good sized rare earth magnet to it. Orient it right and it will hang on to the existing magnet like grim death. Harbor freight has a bunch of different sized rare earth magnets that I can barely pry off my refrigerator. Or, if you have an old hard drive running around, they have some really powerful magnets in them. Just disassemble the drive and salvage the magnets. I have one that is about as thick as a penny on the steel anti-carding flap on my steel security door so that if the dog jumps up and accidentally trips the handle the door won't pop open. You have to turn the handle and give it a good hard push to open it.

WriteON

Learned today. I learned that lot of things I learned I did not not learn...or I would not make the same mistake again.

WriteON

I learned a while ago not to mass produce. Do not work on different kits at the same time. Things get mixed up. That being the case I worked on 3 kits .... completed kit #1. Used the wrong bushings on kit #2. I'm a dopey head.

Top Bottom