Learned few new things today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

1. Free finger tip tattoos..., pick up a hot drill bit
2. a refill will not advance if it is not in the pen. Do not expect to see it no matter how many times you look.
3. Don't stay cooped up too long. I think it's time to leave the shop
Anyone have any real stories?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

magpens

Uh ... no ! . No stories at all, in fact.

I'm feeling much the same as you today !

Here's one I've been suffering through all week.

Last Friday my wife and I took a little hike around the property. No big thing, we do it all the time. Woke up Saturday morning and could hardly walk with extremely sharp pain in my right hip. I have a very strong threshold to pain so this was very painful. Like when you hit your thumb with a framing hammer times 20. Tried stretching, deep heat etc. Nothing helped. Woke up Sunday after sleeping in my chair to pain radiating all the way down my leg, especially in my knee which is bad already. To move around I had to walk like Festus in Gun Smoke. Monday it was no better, it was actually worse. I was taking 2400mg of Motrin to try and calm it down. Tuesday I called the doc and he told me, over a video chat, that it sounded like Tendinitis. Took me off the Motrin and put me on Mobic 15mg. So I continued to sleep in my chair while my wife took over all my responsibilities, which aren't light considering where I live. Yesterday wasn't much better but I felt it was getting better. Woke up this morning and the hip and knee were still painful but not nearly as bad as earlier days, I can walk upright now. But the condition had run down to my big toe not allowing me to bend it at all. I'm hoping this will run out the end of my big toe and be gone. I haven't spent a minute in the shop since Saturday. My wife has told me until this is completely gone I can't spend more than 2 hours in the shop. First sign of relapse I told the doc maybe we should just cut the leg off. He just laughed...I was serious.

Charlie_W

Bummer Tom, My only advice is not only listed to your doc and wife but also do as they say. You don't want to make it worse.

Note: should you need that leg amputated, you have a lathe and can turn a custom burl peg leg...with fancy inlays like your knife handles🤣

Bummer Tom, My only advice is not only listed to your doc and wife but also do as they say. You don't want to make it worse.

Note: should you need that leg amputated, you have a lathe and can turn a custom burl peg leg...with fancy inlays like your knife handles🤣

What a great idea Charlie. If in fact that happens I'll be sure to post a picture so everyone can enjoy it. 👍 If that takes place I can join Lefty and Pancho at Halloween.:eek:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My father-in-law wanted to clean all his rifles today... He's 94 and some are his father's childhood muzzleloaders... (born 1881, so 1906'ish). FIL is as rusty as some of the guns. He was looking for a rifle his father bought to go bear hunting in western USA around 1920-1923. We finally found it. Supposedly it is powerful but very innacurate. He never saw a bear, so it was never used that trip. I suspect that may have been a good thing!

At last count, there are 11 vintage rifles. I was always very, very polite to my FIL when dating my wife 🤣.

WriteON

Last Friday my wife and I took a little hike around the property. No big thing, we do it all the time. Woke up Saturday morning and could hardly walk with extremely sharp pain in my right hip. I have a very strong threshold to pain so this was very painful. Like when you hit your thumb with a framing hammer times 20. Tried stretching, deep heat etc. Nothing helped. Woke up Sunday after sleeping in my chair to pain radiating all the way down my leg, especially in my knee which is bad already. To move around I had to walk like Festus in Gun Smoke. Monday it was no better, it was actually worse. I was taking 2400mg of Motrin to try and calm it down. Tuesday I called the doc and he told me, over a video chat, that it sounded like Tendinitis. Took me off the Motrin and put me on Mobic 15mg. So I continued to sleep in my chair while my wife took over all my responsibilities, which aren't light considering where I live. Yesterday wasn't much better but I felt it was getting better. Woke up this morning and the hip and knee were still painful but not nearly as bad as earlier days, I can walk upright now. But the condition had run down to my big toe not allowing me to bend it at all. I'm hoping this will run out the end of my big toe and be gone. I haven't spent a minute in the shop since Saturday. My wife has told me until this is completely gone I can't spend more than 2 hours in the shop. First sign of relapse I told the doc maybe we should just cut the leg off. He just laughed...I was serious.
Please ... you won't have a leg to stand on.

2. a refill will not advance if it is not in the pen. Do not expect to see it no matter how many times you look.
1587165273230.png
If you're shooting the lathe to kill it, you have aim for the head (stock).... :D:D:D

Mortalis

As much as I hate to relate but, I had similar symptoms and turned out I had slipped a disc in my lumbar region. My right leg went completely numb and 15 years later I still do not have all muscle control in my foot and lower leg. My body has made concessions and I am well now with just those few little issues. Oh, and I cant stand on my right leg without falling so God help me if I ever get pulled over for a sobriety test if I'm sober.

sbwertz

But...but...that lathe is supposed to be ankle deep in shavings! Mine always seems to be, anyway! At the blind center we clean up every bit of sawdust every day but at home.....oh well.

More4dan

Sounds like some people need an overnight stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

For me, and it happens 100s of times a day in the shop, I set something down on the bench and it just disappears instantly. And, the worse I need it the longer it takes to find. If RealTree took some pictures in my shop, the could make the World's most effective Camouflage.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

But the condition had run down to my big toe not allowing me to bend it at all. I'm hoping this will run out the end of my big toe and be gone.
Know about the stiff big toe... back in mid '8-'s I was helping a friend close down his warehouse... he had a shipment of down hole guns that had been delivered laying in the doorway and to close the overhead door I had to move one of them... I only needed to roll it about a foot to clear the door... it rolled away just fine, then rolled back towards me.... I was standing on one foot with the other still in the air when the pipe dropped on my left big toe... cracked the bone in 6 places, split the toe along side the nail from the first joint to the end... I cussed, then realized my sock was feeling wet...today i can wiggle the toe a little but it won't bend at the joint. I lost the nail of course, but it grew back..... then 3 or 4 years back I slipped off the hill behind my house, my foot went under the lawnmower and surgically removed the nail of that same toe again... that now makes 4 toenails I've had to grow on that same toe. The original in the womb, I dropped mom's treadle sewing machine on it when I was 10, then the down hole gun and finally the lawnmower....

sbwertz

Sounds like some people need an overnight stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

For me, and it happens 100s of times a day in the shop, I set something down on the bench and it just disappears instantly. And, the worse I need it the longer it takes to find. If RealTree took some pictures in my shop, the could make the World's most effective Camouflage.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
My house and shop eat things. I can have something in my hand one minute and the next minute it's GONE! And when it finally reappears, it is RIGHT IN PLAIN SIGHT.

WriteON

LOTD.... lesson of the day. Drilling acrylic. Do not take light bites. Keep drilling until you get near the end without withdrawing and clearing bit. The blank will explode and a very nice dusty cloud hits you in the face.

howsitwork

lesson 1 Always check the speed of the pillar drill! When the drill bit is glowing dull red as you go into a " suspect bit of steel " it's trying to say this is hard! I have drill bit shaped like a large nipple , as the centre went down the pilot hole whilst the rest kind of melted into a large lump as I pushed a bit firmly 😳

Lesson 2 the carefully balanced coffee mug is only carefully balances until the moment it isn't, ie when you take your eyes off it.

Lesson 3 the aforementioned mug of coffee has the ability to attract wood even when you ARE NOT turning and have not even started the lathe, how??, from where?? when ?? These you find on the first swig before putting on the face mask to start turning.

Lesson 4 the urge to pee will always happen just at the most critical moment and helps focus the mind on speed.

Lesson 5 The remote controlled dust extractor will only work when the power is connected to it no matter how many times and how hard you press the remote.

More life lessons will no doubt follow...

WriteON

Lesson 2 the carefully balanced coffee mug is only carefully balances until the moment it isn't, ie when you take your eyes off it.

Lesson 3 the aforementioned mug of coffee has the ability to attract wood even when you ARE NOT turning and have not even started the lathe, how??, from where?? when ?? These you find on the first swig before putting on the face mask to start turning.

More life lessons will no doubt follow...
I'm concerned about the coffee.

Last edited:

howsitwork

Lesson 6 - the extra fine, practically invisible, shard of steel that you have just honed from the edge of the now razor sharp skew chisel is automatically attracted to the thumb of the hand holding the diamond hone ( used to be oil stone but I've moved on ).

Lesson 7 the magnifying glasses and tweezers needed to locate and remove the aforementioned steel shard will only be found by carefully searching of the first aid kit, located "out the way on the top shelf" at the far side of the workshop.

Lesson 8 the steps needed to reach the shelf with first aid kit on are located by the door near it , behind the large plank you were going to cut up later that day.

magpens

There is something about the entry way to my shop that always creates an urge to pee... no matter that I just did minutes before leaving the house.
The act of going to bed and pulling up the covers creates exactly the same urge for me ... despite the "minutes before" routine.

TonyL

Replace bearings, spindle, lower pulley, and belt (about 2 hours job bearings, after heating, freezing, lubing, and banging, rented a pulley puller to removed the lower pulley which I damaged) only to find out the clicking was coming from a lose set screw on the head stock wheel.

Don't wipe off shavings from a new carbide insert with your bare hands unless you like the sting from a dozen papercuts.

WriteON

I'm trying hard to self analyze. I have more finished pens than I can handle but keep the lathe turning. I'm doing this for the thrill of the finished product and it's obviously it's a never ending fun hobby. I think I should have stayed in school.
Anyway never make notes or write anything down. I have few finished blanks and have no idea what they match up to. Best bet is Trust Your Memory to see how good it is. I feel my mind is on vacation or watching a movie .... or on commercial break.

howsitwork

To follow on from a theme common above, No matter how much you shake it , the last 3 drops go down your leg. Interestingly I am told this also seems to apply to ladies but none of them will explain what they shake???👋

howsitwork

Moving swiftly on and raising the moral tone somewhat .

Lesson 9 when reaching urgently into a box of screws it is written that the "chosen one " will self select by impaling in your thumb or finger.

Lesson 10 the drill bit needed to drill the pilot hole is always the one you broke last week and the stores are closed ( hence the urgent need to buy a drill doctor for £ to save you buying another packet of drills for pennies , And I got that one past SWMBO👍👍👍👍

Lesson 11 The edge of the router cutter is sharper than the wits of the person testing it with their finger ! Don't ask , just don't.

Top Bottom