Learn from my mistakes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I made a knucklehead move over the weekend and got one of my drill bits stuck in a piece of acrylic acetate. I think I pushed it too hard, things got too hot, and the drilled away material that was in the flute melted and then cooled and fused with the blank, wedging the drill bit in there. I couldn't get it out for the life of me--I tried pulling it, twisting it, etc. I finally was able to twist it out after flooding it with WD-40. I knew I should have pulled it out, but it was one of those "I'm close to the end so I'm just going to finish it up" decisions. I was using one of those brad-point, parabolic pen bits. I think I might try a regular jobber-size twist bit when I need a new size, as some have suggested that those tend to work better than the marketed-for-pens stuff. And, when I'm drilling resins and plastics, from here on other--other than going slow, I'm going to spritz the hole with a little WD-40. I did that for the blanks I drilled after I was finally able to dislodge my bit and things seemed to stay cooler.

Anyway, thought I'd post my mishap lest others can learn the lesson without feeling as foolish as I do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

Yes sir been there too. I no longer use brad point, I noticed everytime I had a problem that revolved around the drilling aspect I was using a brad point... for plastics,acrylic etc I have a spray bottle with a small amount of dawn dishwashing liquid and water. I use it as a cutting fluid and it has worked great. Someone on here recommended it in a post.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Having done this many times (slow learner), I can tell you: Put it in the oven, about 200degrees about 15 minutes.
Grab blank with oven mitt, vice grips on drill bit, back it out. If the blank is just at the right melting point, this works
pretty easily.

Don't let it sit in the oven for a long time, the blank is flammable at SOME temperature. So don't neglect it!!

1080Wayne

I usually use a brad point in everything , without trouble . Drill in small increments , 1/8 to 1/4 inch , remove cuttings after each pass , and fill the hole with water before a starting again .

I would be a bit concerned about adding dishwasher detergent to the water . It acts as a stress cracking agent on some plastics , and the cracking may not show up for some time .

Last edited:

TonyL

I am also a club member:). I recently got a tenon stuck in die (still haven't removed it).

pshrynk

Several great hints here. I started using the dish washing spray right after my first attempt at using an Aquabrite blank. Listed as plastic, so not sure what the material is. I've done it again a couple of times when I've been in a hurry. So the oven trick is a good one to remember. I also got some acrylic specific bits from PSI.

RProctor

I've had other comments about using denatured alcohol in a spray bottle while drilling when pulling out to clear material......is the point to spray the bit with a couple spritzes or to spray the hole? Asking only because my wife talked up my pen turning and now I have someone paying top dollar for 4 pens......and they want acryllics...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've had other comments about using denatured alcohol in a spray bottle while drilling when pulling out to clear material......is the point to spray the bit with a couple spritzes or to spray the hole? Asking only because my wife talked up my pen turning and now I have someone paying top dollar for 4 pens......and they want acryllics...
The point is to keep the heat down!!

Sharpen the bit BEFORE starting (Drill Doctor), pull the bit out every half to 3/4 of an inch, DON'T think, "Oh, I can go just a little farther"--that's when it gets stuck!!!
If you "spritz" your drill bit and it steams and immediately evaporates, you are looking for a problem!! Avoiding the "stuck bit" is a lot easier than solving it--the solution will nearly
always render your blank un-usable!

BigPat1953

I usually use a brad point in everything , without trouble . Drill in small increments , 1/8 to 1/4 inch , remove cuttings after each pass , and fill the hole with water before a starting again .

I would be a bit concerned about adding dishwasher detergent to the water . It acts as a stress cracking agent on some plastics , and the cracking may not show up for some time .
I drill 1/8 to 1/4" at a time, pulling the bit out and blow chips out of hole and off the bit. I also drill at the slowest speed. Have never had acrylic to seize up on me.

Top Bottom