Le Tigre

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

Hi All

I suspect some of you, like me, have a "special drawer" of pen making blanks which holds those materials that mean a bit more than the typical run-of-the-mill materials. In my case these are typically rods that were recovered from some of the bigger pen manufacturers who, sadly, are no longer in the business and consequently means the blanks that were once made in abundance are now rather scarce.

One such example is this Conway Stewart "Le Tigre" cellulose that was fairly popular back in the day, but isn't so easy to get hold of these days. I had a single, small rod that was enough to make a pen from but I had to flesh it out with some black acrylic finials and section. The rings are sterling silver and the nib is my own Bock no6 in flex titanium. I have started to grind my own nibs these days, which is another rabbit hole.

I also added a clip which is chrome steel.

Pen details: 13mm triple start threads, 15mm barrel diameter (tapered). Overall closed length = 143mm.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_0549.jpegIMG_0556.jpegIMG_0564.jpegIMG_0560.jpegIMG_0567.jpegIMG_0543.jpegIMG_0545.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

Hi All

I suspect some of you, like me, have a "special drawer" of pen making blanks which holds those materials that mean a bit more than the typical run-of-the-mill materials. In my case these are typically rods that were recovered from some of the bigger pen manufacturers who, sadly, are no longer in the business and consequently means the blanks that were once made in abundance are now rather scarce.

One such example is this Conway Stewart "Le Tigre" cellulose that was fairly popular back in the day, but isn't so easy to get hold of these days. I had a single, small rod that was enough to make a pen from but I had to flesh it out with some black acrylic finials and section. The rings are sterling silver and the nib is my own Bock no6 in flex titanium. I have started to grind my own nibs these days, which is another rabbit hole.

I also added a clip which is chrome steel.

Pen details: 13mm triple start threads, 15mm barrel diameter (tapered). Overall closed length = 143mm.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 333955View attachment 333953View attachment 333950View attachment 333951View attachment 333949View attachment 333957View attachment 333956
amazing, love the custom finial. Is silver hard to turn?i have bought some 0.3mm leaves but haven't used them yet, cheers

Valleyboy

amazing, love the custom finial. Is silver hard to turn?i have bought some 0.3mm leaves but haven't used them yet, cheers
Thank you Mike.

Silver is really forgiving to turn and its quite clean (nice clean chips unlike, say, brass which creates a real mess).

I tend to turn the ring in-situ (as part of the pen) is I cut washers out of silver sheet that are slightly oversized and fit the to the pen to turn them down.

You can, of course, make the ring and finish it separately then turn the pen down to the right size and add the ring afterwards.

The only thing to keep in mind is that its quite expensive so you don't want to waste too much. So keep any waste and you can either melt it and re-use yourself or there are companies who will buy it back off you if you dont have the equipment to do it yourself.

Cheers
Ash

Top Bottom