Lava On Fire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dansills

dansills

The name popped in my head as I was turning it and well I just couldn't help myself from sharing it. So many different colors and I really liked how they literally melted together. Custom center band and finial with JR rhodium components. I hope it pleases your eyes as much as it did mine when I finished it. This will probably be my last acrylic for a while - I just love the way wood pens turn out - even with the noxious CA finishing:rolleyes:. C&C welcome and encouraged .. thanks for looking.

c6c77437.jpg

8c9727ba.jpg

449cc693.jpg

d6f8a033.jpg

a6f65815.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I like that you took the time to match the center band, it really made the pen for me. The obvious fit and finish are spot on, but that center band and accents truly add to the pen. Awesome

:search::search: I agree with Tim. The center band realy makes it look expensive and rich. Great craftsmsnship!! Jim S

longbeard

Thats some sweet looking colors there. Name is fitting. Great job and great looking pen. Nice touch on the band and finial.

brownsfn2

Any chance you can share how you did the band? I did not think the center band on the Jr Gent came apart like that. Is the hole in the piece for the band a different diameter than the hole in the rest of the blank?

Really nice work. really like the finial as well. Great job!!

flyitfast

Any chance you can share how you did the band? I did not think the center band on the Jr Gent came apart like that. Is the hole in the piece for the band a different diameter than the hole in the rest of the blank?

Don't know how Dan did it, but on the right side of the home page there is a IAP paper by Dalecamino on doing bands. More involved than I thought, but certainly looks doable.
gordon

wizard

Dan, That's a strikingly beautiful pen. Love just looking at the swirls..very appropriate name for the pen. Great custom work with both bands and finial...
Hmmm..LOL..with great pens like this one...don't stay away from resins/acrylics too long.
Regards,
Doc :)

dansills

Don't know how Dan did it, but on the right side of the home page there is a IAP paper by Dalecamino on doing bands. More involved than I thought, but certainly looks doable.
gordon

Sorry it took me so long to respond about the bands .. today has been hectic for me. This should probably be posted in the library but since I am not sure how to do that or go about doing it I will just post here. I think dalecamino's process works better than mine but I just find the method below easier for me to accomplish:

I first used the center band removal tutorial that i found right here on IAP to remove the band from the JR Gent II. I then cut about 3/8" off the top of the blank to be used for the custom finial. Next I cut the cap section and made it about 1/2" too long. I drilled the first 3/8" with 7/16" bit and then turned down that same section down to .575 OD. Before parting it off I next finished it with same finish process as rest of pen (including reverse painting - it must be done before parting). After finishing I just simply part it off and proceed with the normal cap and barrel process. I cut and use the parts in order so the swirls and veins line up during assembly from top to bottom. It's pretty small and detailed work but I always choose the hard route on everything. My wife tells me I have more patience than I do time??:rolleyes:

thanks everyone for the kinds words .. Doc, your comments may have re-inspired my acrylic/resin journey!

Last edited:

Dustygoose

Beautifully done but that centerband makes it. I have seen and done matching with grain and color but the way you matched it too is top notch. Craftsmanship

brownsfn2

Thanks so much for sharing!!

gordon

Sorry it took me so long to respond about the bands .. today has been hectic for me. This should probably be posted in the library but since I am not sure how to do that or go about doing it I will just post here. I think dalecamino's process works better than mine but I just find the method below easier for me to accomplish:

I first used the center band removal tutorial that i found right here on IAP to remove the band from the JR Gent II. I then cut about 3/8" off the top of the blank to be used for the custom finial. Next I cut the cap section and made it about 1/2" too long. I drilled the first 3/8" with 7/16" bit and then turned down that same section down to .575 OD. Before parting it off I next finished it with same finish process as rest of pen (including reverse painting - it must be done before parting). After finishing I just simply part it off and proceed with the normal cap and barrel process. I cut and use the parts in order so the swirls and veins line up during assembly from top to bottom. It's pretty small and detailed work but I always choose the hard route on everything. My wife tells me I have more patience than I do time??:rolleyes:

thanks everyone for the kinds words .. Doc, your comments may have re-inspired my acrylic/resin journey!

Top Bottom