Lathe-turned One-of-a-kind Bolo Ties, with Original Inlaid artwork

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

I posted some pix of bolo ties on the forum a while back, and have continued to make them. Some friends in New Mexico (and other places) like them. I favor pernambuco, olive wood, and bocote for the settings. I usually do the artwork under a microscope, starting with a monochromatic Payne's Grey watercolor under painting, followed by acrylics over top.

I posted this little video on YouTube recently:

"Blossom Bolo Tie"; brass-bezeled acrylic painting, domed with epoxy resin, inlaid into olive wood (Tung oil finish):

BlossomBoloTie,markison,2022,1000px.jpg

Warm regards - Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Amazing work. I watched it with the sound off and then had to go back and replay it with sound so I could hear your music. You are a very talented person.

Alan Morrison

Bolo ties are somewhat foreign to me but I appreciate the quality of your craftmanship and your artwork.
Excellent, Bob.

Stunned again at your work Bob. Absolutely amazing and all the artwork was Beautiful...including the accompanying music. You are truly a gifted and extremely talented person, Bob and I look forward to seeing your work in the future. Amazing!!

Bob in SF

Many thanks Steve, Charlie, Hank, John, Alan, Tom, Jim, Kevin and to those who have looked and liked.

John - Doming: I pre-warm parts A and B of Little Windows Brilliant Resin (here: https://www.little-windows.com/collections/brilliant-resin-2) to about 100 degrees, mix it slowly; then pour it VERY slowly onto the bezeled artwork until there is a flat dome. Under-pour and it's concave, over-pour and it's a mess. I then pick out stubborn bubbles with mini forceps under magnification.

PouringResin,PickingOutBubblesWithMicroforceps,markison,2022.jpg

Gratefully - Bob

Bryguy

Bob, your work always amazes me, not only your artistic talent and meticulous execution, but the complicated and creative processes you develop. You seem to have the patience of a saint!

Woodchipper

Looking at the Blossom Bolo Tie shows some amazing detail! My complements on your artistic talents, patience for artwork and a demonstration of craftsmanship! And I get excited by turning a decent pen!

Top Bottom