Lathe tool storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Since I mounted one of my Delta midis on the short Dewalt Miter Saw Stand I've been contemplating a way, or fixture to keep my lathe tools handy. Then I spied a plastic tool rack that mounts to the wall. I picked up two of them somewhere because they were cheap. One is on the wall and this one was laying around being lazy. So says I, "I wonder if I can mount that to the stand some way."

After some experimenting, this is what I came up with.

Attachments

• 640lathe_tools.jpg
    640lathe_tools.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,074
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

ER I dont like that blue plastic section, have a very hard time with the tip. What may be better is a magnet strip and hang them cutting end up.

alamocdc

I'm not terribly fond of it either, Ed, but the blue plastic thing I had and a magnetic strip I do not. And SWCTM is not real pleased with the $$ I've spent these last few weeks getting things back up and running. So you live with what you have and make it work... at least for now. But it gets the job done and the chisels are within easy reach. And that's the most important thing for me at the moment.

edstreet

Anymore I use just one chisel for all my pen work. That's my round nose scraper. Love that thing. For bowls I use a side scraper and a skew. I have a magnetic strip I just added to the wall behind the lathe and so far it works good except the round bowl gouges and they tend to slip but I rarely use them.

sbell111

I threw together a similar holey shelf for lathe tools made out of scrap wood that had been laying about. Instead of mounting it behind the lathe, Mine is mounted to the end of a work table that is just to the right of the lathe. This allowed the rear side of the lathe to remain free for a dust hood.

alamocdc

I threw together a similar holey shelf for lathe tools made out of scrap wood that had been laying about. Instead of mounting it behind the lathe, Mine is mounted to the end of a work table that is just to the right of the lathe. This allowed the rear side of the lathe to remain free for a dust hood.

ROTFL! Not at what you said, Steve, but what you reminded me of. Last week I cut a piece of 2" galvanized steel conduit to fit across the 2 tool mounts so I could attach a swingable dust hood that I have planned. So the funny part of this? I was so happy with figuring out a place to put my lathe chisels that I forgot I had that space claimed for much more important dust collection. So my new storage device will likely be coming off soon. I'm lucky I remember my own name these days! :redface:

It would be nice to have the size shop I had in Ohio, but working in the garage, all of my tools but the 3520B and table saw are on wheels (including this lathe). So having a permanent wall mounted, or other location not otherwise associated with my wheeled lathe would be less than optimal. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Last edited:

jking

I realize you mounted the shelf towards the tailstock, but, I don't like the idea of reaching over top of a lathe to get tools. I would put a shelf/holder below the lathe for tool storage.

Top Bottom