Lathe speed for plastic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CabinetMaker

What lathe speed is best for turning plastics? I know that there are several different types of plastic blanks that vary in hardness. Some are very hard and brittle and pit very easily when turning. Others are a bit softer and turn much more cleanly.

So what lathe speed do you find works best for different types of plastic blanks? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeG

I just finished my first 25 Corian pens and this is what worked for me:

700 RPM to take the round over the edges.
1200 RPM to full round.
2400 RPM finish shape
700 RPM sanding / micro-mesh
2400 RPM polish

These were my first Corian pens, but I am happy with the way they came out. There was no chipping or blank breakage, but these speeds may be slower then others run, as I do these for fun and not for profit.

Corian0001.JPG

I know "no picture - it didn't happen"

Last edited:

HSTurning

My jet mini makes some odd noises at top speed so I turn everything at 1 from the top so that 3200-3400. I sand, I finish (CA) and wet sand the finish at the same speed.

ToddMR

I turn at full speed on most everything. I find catches are not as bad as it tends to skip over it. At least that's how it appears to me. I only slow down to do CA finishes as not to sling CA. Someone suggested to run full speed to me last year and since I have, I have not looked back. :)

CabinetMaker

I'm glad I asked. Since I drilled 'em slow I was going to turn them slow. It makes sense to turn 'em fast so that my cut rate goes up. It also seems that a face shield over safety glasses is a good idea.

GoodTurns

JimB

I'm glad I asked. Since I drilled 'em slow I was going to turn them slow. It makes sense to turn 'em fast so that my cut rate goes up. It also seems that a face shield over safety glasses is a good idea.

A face shield is always a good idea not matter what you are doing or what material you are doing it with.

Top Bottom