Lathe Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Justin, you got some good suggestions but I would like to reiterate one thing, and that is the lathe itself is just the tip of the iceberg! A decent set of turning tools, a few live and dead centers, a chuck and or a pen mandrel will quickly approach the cost of the lathe itself! Then there are the supplies… turning stock, glue, sandpaper, finishes, polishes, pen kits or stopper bases, and on and on… to the tune of hundreds of dollars!

If funds are really that tight, you might want to look at ALL of the tools and supplies you will need before buying the lathe. Perhaps a simple spreadsheet might be in order. The tally might suprise you as you start adding up all the little things, I know I was shocked at the amount of money I spent the first month I had my mini lathe.

I don't have a Grizzly wood lathe so can't offer any suggestions but for what it's worth, I have one of their metal lathes and really like it and the superior customer service I have received so far is second to none!

I know..that's why I want to stick to a lower cost lathe so there is a little something left over to buy all the other stuff. Plus with my birthday and Christmas coming up I'm hoping gift cards for woodcraft and rockler will show up in my stocking! :biggrin:

See, I know this will sound weird, but buying the little stuff as time allows isn't going to be the problem. It's the outlay of the $300 bucks for the lathe up front that is the problem. My wife is already complaining that I always get to buy toys and she never gets anything. I told her if she wanted to spend the money then she was going to have to do the tile job. I don't complain to her every couple weeks when she spends $30 bucks a shot getting her nails done because I know it makes her feel better about herself for some crazy reason. But I know if she outlayed $300 bucks for a something I'd be pretty ticked.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I know..that's why I want to stick to a lower cost lathe so there is a little something left over to buy all the other stuff. Plus with my birthday and Christmas coming up I'm hoping gift cards for woodcraft and rockler will show up in my stocking! :biggrin:

See, I know this will sound weird, but buying the little stuff as time allows isn't going to be the problem. It's the outlay of the $300 bucks for the lathe up front that is the problem. My wife is already complaining that I always get to buy toys and she never gets anything. I told her if she wanted to spend the money then she was going to have to do the tile job. I don't complain to her every couple weeks when she spends $30 bucks a shot getting her nails done because I know it makes her feel better about herself for some crazy reason. But I know if she outlayed $300 bucks for a something I'd be pretty ticked.

Good luck with your (very) typical marital struggles.
Only you know how to mollify your wife when it comes to buying new toys. I have a rule for my tool/toy buying. It is: 'nothing comes in unless something goes out'. I may have a flurry of good sales on pens or other items; or I may sell some tools or other 'stuff' I no longer need and those funds are used to purchase more 'stuff'. On occasion I do prowl garage sales and flea markets. Those can often proved to be treasure troves at little cost. Sometimes you get lucky. Last night, at a large event, I purchased $4.00 worth of tickets for a Chinese auction. I won a Bosch angle grinder, retail value almost $300.00. Hang in there.

And, BTW, good luck with your choice of lathes. I have given up on the hopes of folks stating facts to support their hate for certain tools. Unfortunately, without facts to back their negativity, you have not been helped at all. I'll be happy to share my experiences and research with you off forum. But, now, I will bow out of this thread. Fini.

bdonald

Naw, doesnt sound wierd at all, we all do that. Once the $ starts turning into the $$ and $$$, we have to re-evaluate because your explanation to your spouse <and yourself> needs to be justified. Then it becomes a joint decision,at least if you want to stay married!! <or not come home to find a new mink coat sitting in the closet> :). One thing that helps me, I look at the higher priced lathes, like, oh, the oneway 2436 and show her that, then she doesnt complain so much at the 300 instead of the 4000+. Works with computers and guitars too :) Good luck, and if you need any more info on the Rikon, shoot the questions, I'll be more than happy to share what I know and answer any questions you find.

Wildman

Really surprised nobody mentoned the HF 12x33" 34706-4VGA wood lathe. It list for $299.99, but often goes on sale for $177.99. With a 15% off coupon not a bad deal. While not my first choice for an entry level lathe have a lot of satisfied turners with that lathe.

Rifleman, I don't hate Grizzly wood lathes, some are better than others though.

bdonald

Really surprised nobody mentoned the HF 12x33" 34706-4VGA wood lathe. It list for $299.99, but often goes on sale for $177.99. With a 15% off coupon not a bad deal. While not my first choice for an entry level lathe have a lot of satisfied turners with that lathe.

Rifleman, I don't hate Grizzly wood lathes, some are better than others though.

I own one, bought it about a year ago, but it's still sitting in the hallway in pieces <bought it used for 100 bux>. Just waiting to move,since my shop is way too small for it now. The guy I bought it from said it was a nice machine, and I want to like it since it has a lot of features, but I havent used it first hand to recommend it and have that come back to bite me in the butt :) The really nice features of that are the rotating headstock, which is why I got it to do bigger platters, and the speed controls. Am looking forward to hearing what others experiences are of this, as this would be a great alternative for the OP. Good thinking!

Brandon25

And, BTW, good luck with your choice of lathes. I have given up on the hopes of folks stating facts to support their hate for certain tools. Unfortunately, without facts to back their negativity, you have not been helped at all. I'll be happy to share my experiences and research with you off forum. But, now, I will bow out of this thread. Fini.

Rifleman,

I know I'm new here, you're a long-time member, and I certainly don't want to make any enemies from those that have gotten me this far in our craft, but with all due respect, I humbly submit that I think you're wrong. Justin's gotten quite a bit of very helpful advice, contrary to your assertation. Truth be told, it seems like those who are arguing ad-infinitum are the only ones not being helpful. Keep in mind we're likely leaving a first impression on at least one person here.

Brandon

nava1uni

I have a Rikon mini lathe and it is great. It runs well, easy to change belt to change speed. Minimal vibration. It is a solid machine. I also have their 14" bandsaw and drill press. They are all solid pieces of equipment and workhorses in using them daily with only regular cleaning and maintenance.

Rifleman1776

Rifleman,

I know I'm new here, you're a long-time member, and I certainly don't want to make any enemies from those that have gotten me this far in our craft, but with all due respect, I humbly submit that I think you're wrong. Justin's gotten quite a bit of very helpful advice, contrary to your assertation. Truth be told, it seems like those who are arguing ad-infinitum are the only ones not being helpful. Keep in mind we're likely leaving a first impression on at least one person here.

Brandon

Let me get this right, you think I'm wrong after I stated facts and first hand experiences? Do you think I am also wrong in asking others to state facts rather than just vague negative comments? And, your "seems like" comment is a common tactic here. Imaginary complaints do pop up often here. If you are able to show specifically where I have misstated something, I will apologize and correct. Understand, I realize I am the villain in these discussions for wanting helpful facts for myself and others. Those who use "seems like"; "I think"; "I hate"; and other non-specific arguments, straight from their imagination, are the ones who usually prevail. It's a strange world.

Brandon25

Let me get this right, you think I'm wrong after I stated facts and first hand experiences? Do you think I am also wrong in asking others to state facts rather than just vague negative comments? And, your "seems like" comment is a common tactic here. Imaginary complaints do pop up often here. If you are able to show specifically where I have misstated something, I will apologize and correct. Understand, I realize I am the villain in these discussions for wanting helpful facts for myself and others. Those who use "seems like"; "I think"; "I hate"; and other non-specific arguments, straight from their imagination, are the ones who usually prevail. It's a strange world.

No, I dont think you're wrong for stating first hand facts and experience. That is not what I said. Fact is, Frank, you said he hadn't been helped at all, and that's simply not true. The purpose of my post was to say that he had received help, which you ascertained was not the case.

Additionally, I don't know what type of late night alleyway run-ins you've had with this mythical "seems like" demon, but I'll not be dragged into a word-mincing contest.

Finally, you said "If you are able to show specifically where I have misstated something, I will apologize and correct." Specifically, nothing was errant in your posts. Generally, the tangent was unnecessary, hence my words "those who are arguing ad-infinitum." I wasn't just talking to you. If you've got a recurring "Grizzly" problem, why not hash it out via private messaging with your adversaries instead of repeatedly littering open forum threads with personal vendettas?
If you've got more to say, feel free to message me. I'd hate to become a deserving recipient of my own admonition.
Respectfully,
Brandon

jleiwig

Children! Stop bickering. It was ok to make a point but to keep going back and forth is like peeing into the wind. I thank all of you for your suggestions and I will take them to the CFO to see if she will release funding for a lathe purchase. I may have even sold a pen to a guy at work just telling him about them. I also know a bunch of hunters who will buy pot calls and such when I start making those.

randyrls

I would appreciate seeing some of those items you have read. Invariably negative comments about Grizzly are unsubstantiated.
I have many Grizzly tools and have found their service, before, during, and after the sale to be unsurpassed. They are a model I wish other businesses in America would use as an example.

I have always had good service and great customer support from Grizzly. Tech Support didn't even laugh "How do I unscrew the knob from this shaft?":mad: ANS: "It just pulls straight off sir, it doesn't unscrew". "Oh, that is why the vice grips I used to try to unscrew the knob didn't work!"

Lately their supply of parts seems to be dwindling though. 2 months wait to get replacement / enhancement parts. I suspect that they are tired of people buying their lathe at HF and getting parts from Grizzly. I don't blame them as this isn't a big ticket item.

I bought tools and my lathe from them as I want them to stay around.

ldb2000

OK I know I'm gonna get beat up for suggesting this but... I was just at Harbor freight and they have a New lathe that is almost an exact copy of the Jet 5 speed lathe (the 1014) , it's most likely made on the same assembly line and just not finished as well as the Jet . It sells for $199.99 , I looked it over and it looks pretty good , I have the Jet 1014 VSi and the castings look the same as mine . It might be worth a look if you have a HF anywhere near you .

bdonald

I have a Rikon mini lathe and it is great. It runs well, easy to change belt to change speed. Minimal vibration. It is a solid machine. I also have their 14" bandsaw and drill press. They are all solid pieces of equipment and workhorses in using them daily with only regular cleaning and maintenance.

And to add, I have had GREAT customer support from them the two times I called them, one not even really related to thier product, specifically. Rod took the time to check if the PSI vs motor is a direct replacement, even telling me the little things to look for. So far have had a really positive experience with both thier equipment and thier support, and like Cindy said, the thing is a workhorse. If only they had one inbetween the mini lathe and the monster lathe, I wouldnt even be looking at the nova dvr right now!

Texatdurango

...See, I know this will sound weird, but buying the little stuff as time allows isn't going to be the problem. It's the outlay of the $300 bucks for the lathe up front that is the problem. My wife is already complaining that I always get to buy toys and she never gets anything. I told her if she wanted to spend the money then she was going to have to do the tile job. I don't complain to her every couple weeks when she spends $30 bucks a shot getting her nails done because I know it makes her feel better about herself for some crazy reason. But I know if she outlayed $300 bucks for a something I'd be pretty ticked.
Good Grief.... do we have to do all the thinking for you??? :eek:

Buy the lathe, wrap it in a nice package with a big ribbon and bow and surprise her with an early Christmas present! Be sure and tell her that you are really looking foreward to the bonding time you will have with her as you spend scountless hours out in the shop together and would appreciate being allowed to borrow the lathe now and then yourself! :biggrin:

When you get the lathe and a few tools, hollar and I'll send you some blanks and slimline kits to help you get you started making some pens and bottle stoppers.

bdonald

Children! Stop bickering. It was ok to make a point but to keep going back and forth is like peeing into the wind. I thank all of you for your suggestions and I will take them to the CFO to see if she will release funding for a lathe purchase. I may have even sold a pen to a guy at work just telling him about them. I also know a bunch of hunters who will buy pot calls and such when I start making those.

Well, I think <there goes that word again!> I see where Brandon25 is coming from. It doesnt seem to matter where it started, just that the thread is almost hijacked <I say almost only because you did mention the grizzly in your original post> with the arguments and detracting from the original intent of the post. I know that you were just looking for information on the best bang for the buck, and see what the rest of us had to throw in so that you could have some good intel to weigh your decision on. I wont go any further because I feel, as Brandon stated, this would probably be best if moved to a private discussion between those involved, because as you stated about peeing in the wind, looks like the rest of us just happen to be standing downwind LOL. Good job on selling a pen, and looking forward to seeing the pot call pics posted, always wanted to make one of those. Let us know what you and the better half decide!

bdonald

Buy the lathe, wrap it in a nice package with a big ribbon and bow and surprise her with an early Christmas present! Be sure and tell her that you are really looking foreward to the bonding time you will have with her as you spend scountless hours out in the shop together and would appreciate being allowed to borrow the lathe now and then yourself! :biggrin:

When you get the lathe and a few tools, hollar and I'll send you some blanks and slimline kits to help you get you started making some pens and bottle stoppers.

Looks like we needed some humor to break it up in here, and that did it! I've been tempted to do that, but have always been afraid of what MY Christmas present would be next year! :)

jleiwig

She's a little lady, but I think she could lift it high enough to clock me on the head with it if I did that! :biggrin:

Thanks for the offer on the kits.

jleiwig

Well, I think <there goes that word again!> I see where Brandon25 is coming from. It doesnt seem to matter where it started, just that the thread is almost hijacked <I say almost only because you did mention the grizzly in your original post> with the arguments and detracting from the original intent of the post. I know that you were just looking for information on the best bang for the buck, and see what the rest of us had to throw in so that you could have some good intel to weigh your decision on. I wont go any further because I feel, as Brandon stated, this would probably be best if moved to a private discussion between those involved, because as you stated about peeing in the wind, looks like the rest of us just happen to be standing downwind LOL. Good job on selling a pen, and looking forward to seeing the pot call pics posted, always wanted to make one of those. Let us know what you and the better half decide!

I'm not mad or anything and I hope that no one else is mad at me for my reply, I just think it's pointless. Make your point once and move on. Stop going back and forth..that's all I asked.

Thanks for all the positive kudos sent my way all! :)

Top Bottom