Lathe Dust Hood Adjustable Arm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RVA_Tyndall

I was thinking of a way to better position my dust hood behind my Nova lathe when I ran across this magnetic base at HF for $12!

It works great. I put a connection hole for the hood near the throat of the hood and it allows me to get right up on the spindle. The size of the arms allows for it to move back further when I am turning bowls. Overall, I am really happy with this for the price!
IMG_4322.JPG
IMG_4324.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

newgenesis

I have that set up from Rockler and while it works well it is much to big for my setup since I use a mandrel saver.

I bought a smaller hood and the Rockler rig doesn't work for it. Will have to look into the Harbor Frieght one. Thanks for the idea. :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think it looks great! You say it works, and I appreciate you showing us some photos and telling about it.
Here's a big dose of Kudos!! Have fun turning without a pile of shavings.

RVA_Tyndall

One thing that I would mention is that I have a light strap that I use to help with the weight of the 4" hose that I used to before to help hold the hose in place. Depending on your setup and the weight of your system you might need some support like the strap. The only issue I have had with this system is the lathe wobble on a 13" uneven bowl blank pulled the hood toward the piece.

The magnet is really strong, but the tension on the support bars aren't super strong and under pressure from a large piece wobbling at 500 RPM it got shaky. The great part of the magnet is that it is easy to move. I just moved it aside until I got the piece shaped and then got back to business. It is great to have the dust sucked right up. The large shavings in bowls still go flying all over the place but it sure does help.

Top Bottom