Lathe comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

As if this hasn't been asked before, but here I go again. I'm looking for a specific comparison, noted below.

So I've been saving up for a new lathe. The one currently in use is a Jet 1014. I kinda had my mind set on the Laguna Revo 1216. The other one I was considering is the Jet 1221VS. I see pros and cons to both, as one would expect. They have the same price tag for the lathe itself. That beautiful Laguna stand has some really nice organization features. It's hard to believe the Jet stand is $300 for something so basic, So I'd probably work out something else to use for that one. I know I can get an adapter from Rick easily enough, but all my tool rests are 5/8 so the Jet would be an easy swap. I like the outboard turning option on the Laguna, but am not sure I'd get a lot of use from it. I like the idea of having the few extra inches between centers on the Jet, though that's not a deal maker/breaker either way.

The reason I'm asking this is that Klingspoor's has the Jet for 15% off right now. I can easily hold out for a while, but that's a better discount than I usually see. What I am asking is for opinions from people who have used both the Jet 1221VS and the Laguna 1216 models. How do they compare in the real world? Is one noticeably better? Smoother? Easier to operate (changing belts and whatnot)? Any quirks or known issues on either?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have both Jets you mentioned and yes they are workhorses and could not go wrong. I have always admired that Laguna lathe though. and said to myself , self if you ever buy another lathe make it the Laguna. I know it does not help but am satisfied with the jets for now.

EricRN

I've not used both, but I do own the Laguna 1216. I'm a huge fan. After around five years of use, here are my thoughts: No issues mechanically. Works great. Solid power. Accurate and well-made. The outboard turning and extra space above the bed that it affords were a huge selling point for me. That said, I've never used it. The way my garage is set up, I'd need to move the lather around to use it, and there is a bit of set up involved if you're going to leave the bed extension there. I much prefer the design of the next Laguna up, where the motor slides to the end of the bed for "outboard" turning. I did buy the 10-inch bed extension, though, and I absolutely love it--that has gotten a LOT of use, so your instinct to value the extra length of the Jet is spot on. I didn't think I'd need it because I rarely turn spindles longer than a foot (or so I thought), but I end up using it all the time--18 inch rolling pins, for example. And, especially, drilling operations. For example, if you're going to drill the center of a vase or pepper mill, even if it's only 8 inches tall, you're going to need at least that length (plus an extra inch or so) to handle the length of the drill bit and extension.

Re the stand--the Laguna stand looks nice, but is insanely expensive (as with all Laguna accessories). I bought a Husky tool cart that, with the lathe on top, resulted in a comfortable working height for me and added some casters to the bottom for mobility. Cost me about $150 all-in, includes tons of storage space beneath it in both draws and a shelf (more than the laguna stand offers), and works out well for me.

derekdd

Good question. I've looked at both, also.

For $150 separation in price, I wonder how much difference there is between the two?

I really like the idea of using a rolling tool chest for a stand, @EricRN

KenB259

I actually have both lathes you are considering. I bought the Jet first and a few years later I thought I wanted the ability to do outboard turning. To this day I have not even used this feature. Aside from the outboard turning feature either lathe would be a good choice. When I bought both lathes they didn't have the price they do now. Both lathes have an extremely easy belt tensioner, run at the same speed, both variable speed, both are 12 inch, both have reverse, same spindle size. The Laguna does have a beefier 1 inch tool test post. I did buy the Laguna bed extension. You wouldn't go wrong with either lathe and I would have a hard time recommending one over the other.

philipff

Have you looked at the bearings of both? If one has more that the other in the drive shaft end then that may be a factor in long gevity. p

sorcerertd

Re the stand--the Laguna stand looks nice, but is insanely expensive (as with all Laguna accessories). I bought a Husky tool cart that, with the lathe on top, resulted in a comfortable working height for me and added some casters to the bottom for mobility. Cost me about $150 all-in, includes tons of storage space beneath it in both draws and a shelf (more than the laguna stand offers), and works out well for me.
Which one did you get? I was considering this one for the adjustability, buy wasn't sure about how solid it would be. I'm a little unsure about anything with Castors, though I would like the mobility. I know there are some that flip up so the base is sitting on solid feet.

I have always admired that Laguna lathe though. and said to myself , self if you ever buy another lathe make it the Laguna.
This is what I've been thinking, too. I was looking for the justification, though. I really wanted to buy it when it was $799 instead of $999, but the money just wasn't there at the time. Darn it. Usually they go on sale in the fall, or even around Black Friday. I can hold out until then easily enough. I wish they would do a buy the lathe, get the stand free (or greatly discounted) offer. I can dream, right?

@KenB259 - Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

My 1014 is well used and the tailstock is a little sloppy. I bought it used for $150 and have gotten a lot of use from it since then. I don't feel like I can get a barrel that is truly concentric to the tube, but I know there are other factors involved in that.

Other thoughts:
  • Not sure how I feel about the handwheel on the Laguna, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a big issue.
  • Quill travel is similar. not sure how much difference I'd get out of the 1/4" on the Laguna
  • The Jet has a better warranty, maybe the best of all the manufacturers, 5 years.

KenB259

Which one did you get? I was considering this one for the adjustability, buy wasn't sure about how solid it would be. I'm a little unsure about anything with Castors, though I would like the mobility. I know there are some that flip up so the base is sitting on solid feet.

This is what I've been thinking, too. I was looking for the justification, though. I really wanted to buy it when it was $799 instead of $999, but the money just wasn't there at the time. Darn it. Usually they go on sale in the fall, or even around Black Friday. I can hold out until then easily enough. I wish they would do a buy the lathe, get the stand free (or greatly discounted) offer. I can dream, right?

@KenB259 - Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

My 1014 is well used and the tailstock is a little sloppy. I bought it used for $150 and have gotten a lot of use from it since then. I don't feel like I can get a barrel that is truly concentric to the tube, but I know there are other factors involved in that.

Other thoughts:
  • Not sure how I feel about the handwheel on the Laguna, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a big issue.
  • Quill travel is similar. not sure how much difference I'd get out of the 1/4" on the Laguna
  • The Jet has a better warranty, maybe the best of all the manufacturers, 5 years.
Yes the Laguna handwheel sucks, I made my own.

Attachments

• IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom