Wanted Lathe Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I am hoping I can buy some Bowl Gouges and the like at reasonable prices. In my case cheap!

I just can't afford to drop $100 plus on one tool. I am really just getting started here and I just want to be sure I have the ability and the want.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

You don't have to spend that much, and if you are just starting out, it makes a lot of sense to go for cheap initially, especially if you will be using conventional steel tools. The reason is that in addition to leaning how to turn, you will also need to learn how to sharpen, and the process of learning how to sharpen tools can consume a lot of steel. So it makes sense to learn on cheap steel, and then after you have acquired some skills, upgrade if necessary.

Also, while it might appear to make sense to purchase a 'set' of tools, this can also be misleading because until you have learned something about turning, you won't know what kind of turning you enjoy most and therefore which tools you actually need.

My suggestion is to start out with an inexpensive 'house brand' tool - Benjamin's Best (the PSI house brand) is actually quite good and doesn't cost a fortune. The basic starting kit should be something like (and everyone has a different opinion here):
  • a basic spindle gouge, either 3/8" or 1/2"
  • a basic skew chisel (1/2" or 3/4")
  • a basic diamond parting tool with a 3/16" - 1/4" width.
You should be able to get all three for around $100. And those three tools will enable you to try out a variety of different styles of turning (both spindle and faceplate).

Having said that, let me offer two seemingly contrary suggestions.

First, if you can find used tools, that's a good way to get started. I would expect that the most likely scenario for finding used tools is someone who is getting out of turning and is liquidating his/her shop. If you can associate with a local club, they may be able to point you to someone.

Second, a lot of people have gotten started using the basic tool set from Harbor Freight. These are not great tools, but they are good to learn on (learning both turning and sharpening), and many experienced turners still have and use that initial set. And often they say that having advanced to better tools, they still hold onto the Harbor Freight set for use in creating shop-made special purpose grinds.

penicillin

Finding bowl gouges or other HSS turning tools at the right price point won't do you much good unless you also have a way to sharpen them. Even if they arrive professionally sharpened (ha!), they will still require frequent touch-ups and sharpening. Sorry, but it is a fact of life that you can't get around. If you watch any professional woodturning demonstrations, you will notice that the pros pause briefly and touch-up their gouges from time-to-time as they demonstrate their techniques.

-> Without a way to sharpen them, your HSS turning tools (like a bowl gouge) will quickly become useless, other than as skewers for your grill. :-(

Repurposing HSS Woodturning Tools.jpg

randyrls

Michael; I'll second the idea that PSI Benjamin Best tools are a good deal. You might try to contact a local woodturning club in your area. Many club members will let you give a try at turning. Some clubs have events where you can get "coaching" by seasoned wood turners. They will know of any tools available. They will also be able to guide you in sharpening HSS. Carbide can be used and only requires a credit card diamond hone to sharpen. But nothing beats standing beside someone and being able to ask questions. AAW has chapters all over and it looks like there is one in Springfield. https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Resources/Find-a-/Chapter/Woodturner/AAWConnects/AAW-Connects.aspx?hkey=1c4d6fa8-6094-4dd1-888a-e0c3e2809c3e

Top Bottom