Lathe and CNC collaboration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WWorkman

WWorkman

I am experimenting with using my CNC carver to do intricate carvings for bowl rims. I used 2 pieces of 5/4 Cherry laminated together for this one. Finished with shine juice and used semi gloss lacquer on the rim. This is the first try at it and I did find out real quick that you have to be super accurate when mounting the carved piece to the lathe face plate, like less than 1 mm off center.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 155
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Making those I would prefer doing the turning first and do the CNC carving last, just my opinion but apart from that, you did great on that plate/platter, they should sell fairly well, I hope...!

Cheers
George

WWorkman

I've been thinking of trying the same thing. I assume you did the CNC work first then hollowed out the bowl? This is a great first attempt.
Yes I did the carve first on a sold board then glued the 2 pieces of cherry together and mounted on the lathe. I also placed intersecting lines in the center to carve out for reference in mounting to the face plate. The next design I have been working on I also added to the file , exact locations for the screw holes of the faceplate and hope that is simpler.

WWorkman

Making those I would prefer doing the turning first and do the CNC carving last, just my opinion but apart from that, you did great on that plate/platter, they should sell fairly well, I hope...!

Cheers
George
Thanks George, my little machine has a 3 inch depth of cut max so for these I am limited by that.

Top Bottom