Latest TV's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I'm still a big fan of Rabbit Ears, UHF and rotor antennas..... aside from that. I'm looking for a new TV. No idea what is out there. Must be a Smart TV (whatever that is). Either 65-75" Sony or Samsung. OLED QLED 4K...what is all this nonsense. What have you purchased recently and why. Or what would you buy if you were on the market today? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

We've been on an antenna for years but our kids encouraged us to get into digital. With all the streaming of woodworking videos now and zoom family greetings we relented. I bought a TV at Walmart called Vizio. They have their own internet connecting software called Smartcast. Our daughter set it up and put their family plan You Tube, Disney Plus, and Netflix on for us. It works ok but we have really slow satellite service so there are times we can use it. We still have the antenna and use that a lot. I can connect my computer to the TV with an HDMI cable and stream videos and zoom calls on that if I want to. That's all I know and am looking forward to hearing what others have to say. If you want to stream it may have a lot to do with your internet service available but I'm not sure.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will offer a few bits of suggestions - when looking at something like this, look at the long term reviews of the maker/manufacturer. We have 3 - Den, Living Room and master bedroom. The 60" in the den was purchased in January 2011, just after living overseas for 25 years - and it was then - a top of the line by a reputable mfg. We still get comments on how sharp and vivid the screen is.

There are several criteria that one can take in purchasing:
1. Price high or low - in general, you get what you pay for; is it somewhat of an investment that will last, or something with bling to get my attention at the moment.
2. A. Smart TV or Dumb TV. In general, SMART is the way to go - unless one is technologically challenged. ASK about the remotes - I despise having 3 remotes - TV, Sound system, Cable company - to operate a single TV. I think there are single remotes that will combine ALL functions into one, but LOML will not allow it as she is afraid that she will have to unlearn what she already knows that works.

B. Smart TVs allow so much more, but one needs to listen carefully to the key features and then have someone go through the motions of explaining in layman's terms, or write down in a step by step list for that feature. On cheaper TVs, it is probable that the saleman just wants to make a sale and will not want to invest in an hour of explanations. But for the more expensive ones, a good salesman will probably invest time in you to make the sale. (This is as much a price factor as a quality of product factor.)
C. Important to me: ASK - Does this TV have a camera on it that can interact with owner? Seemingly innocuous, but personally, I hate cameras that "can" be used to spy on someone.
D. DON'T do what some do: Find a TV that you want with a store salesman that will invest time and then run to another store that sells it cheaper. the problem: The cheaper salesman is NOT going to help you after the sale 6 months later. Very irritating to buy a high tech machine of any kind at rock bottom prices and the saleman will not help you. With a high tech TV owned by a low tech owner, you want a lifeline.

3. A. Visit several stores and get an idea of what you think you want. Go home and research REVIEWS of your list of two or three. There are minor differences between model 123ABC at one store and model 123BCD at another store, go home and look up the differences. Research is the key here.
B. Also, beware of negative reviews. ALL TVs will have a negative review somewhere. And the converse is: All TVs will have glowing reports somewhere. Look for a trend in the negative reviews and positive reviews.

4. Make a list of "new words" to you and get someone to WRITE DOWN the meanings, or look up those terms in an internet search. Do you know what "streaming" is? If you are rabbit ears and antennae savvy, these terms may be familiar but the practical meaning might be nil. Don't just accept a one time meaning-explanation, learn the concept behind the meaning, or you will get lost with ALL of the options available on a remote! I cannot overstate this point. BEEN THERE, STILL DOING IT!
(Some remotes are very intuitive, some are not!)

This can be overwhelming, find a trusted friend or relative that knows the technology (and are not TV salemen) and let them evaluate what you think you want. Reward the one that will help you out with figuring it out.

Last edited:
I don't watch enough TV to answer any of your questions... I have 4 TV's in the house 'cause the wife turns on the TV before she turns on the lights... since she's more or less homebound, I have to make sure we have TV's for her to watch.... she has a little 20" on her den wall, another in the breakfast room where we eat most of the time, plus a large 52" in the living room where she can see it from her chair. I also have a little 20" flat screen in my study in the closet next to my desk... I turn it on to watch NCIS and not much else. We are a DISH subscriber and each TV is connected to a Dish DVR -- which to date we have never used to record anything (Nor do we remember how).

Lucky2

I usually just buy the cheapest model that I can find, that has all of the options that I think I need or want. Also, I only buy one when I actually need one, not to just upgrade for new options.

Len

WriteON

Great replies thanks. I honestly like a TV that "works". I hook it to 2 speakers with a sub and sit back. Today's sets have too much nonsense and I cannot see the difference. As for the sales people I have no idea what they are taking about. I just might buy a smart Samsung or a Sony. It's a new purchase (65-75") for a new room. Otherwise I'm happy with anything I can cash & carry. Does not have to be top of the line.

Mortalis

When I was looking for a new TV I didnt realize that not all SMART TVs are the same. If you are going to partake of NetFlix, HuLU amazon Prime video or even Youtube you will need a method to get that on to the TV. SMART TVs do that for you. The difference in a cheap SMART TV and a more expensive SMART TV is the cheaper oned require you to broadcast from your phone or a tablet to the TV and the more expensive ones will have all the SMART channels built right in to the TV.
Other than that it basically comes down to personal convenience as said above, how easy is it to control whatever you are going to connect to the TV? Also, what resolution/definition of the picture are you comfortable watching? I bought an LG OLED 4K 60" to watch blu-ray movies and Netflix stuff. My wife likes the programming on a non-HD channel and frankly, I cant stand to watch it on this TV. Everything non-HD is fuzzy and almost blurry. If you are going to watch non-HD then just about anything available will work otherwise you will need to get something capable of what they call UHD (4K capable).

Mortalis

Great replies thanks. I honestly like a TV that "works". I hook it to 2 speakers with a sub and sit back. Today's sets have too much nonsense and I cannot see the difference. As for the sales people I have no idea what they are taking about. I just might buy a smart Samsung or a Sony. It's a new purchase (65-75") for a new room. Otherwise I'm happy with anything I can cash & carry. Does not have to be top of the line.
The best time to buy a 4K TV is after the Superbowl. Many people will buy an UHD TV to watch the Superbowl (quite expensive ones at that) and then return them after the Superbowl. You get open box prices which on the higher end TVs are better than Black Friday most itmes.

bmachin

the cheaper oned require you to broadcast from your phone or a tablet to the TV
Not true. For the price of a Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast or Firestick (maybe others?) you can add just about as many streaming services as you like for around 50 bucks (150 for the apple) worth of hardware.

I have low end Roku devices on all of my older sets. My main unit is tied into a high end sound system which I turn on and sync with a Logitech Harmony remote. From that point, everything is controlled from the Roku, including volume.

Bill

robutacion

I'm not much of a help either, I have no idea on the meaning of half of the technical terminology used in our days to describe TV's and honestly can't see what makes a TV cost $10.000 Merissa and I, we watch a lot of TV, particularly Merissa and her Netflix movies while I use more the desktop computer and my 24" monitor to watch YouTube.

The reception from our TV antenna is fairly good since they changed from analogue to digital some years back, there is only one TV in the house and that is more than enough for our needs, the best and biggest TV we ever had is what we have now a 42" screen with HD and some other simple functions, that is big enough for us and quite honestly I have been in places where people have these huge TV covering the whole wall where the seating position is no more than 4 meters away from it unless I can go further back I get a nasty headache.

This TV cost AU$1,000 and so far so good (4 years) if I get 10 years out of it, I would be happy I don't really want to think of a replacement, things are tight as it is so, I hope you buy the best TV you want and can afford, brand consumables is our days aren't that much better than non-well-know brands, the tag price on those brands are very high and not always worth it, in my view, off-course.

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

WriteON

Somewhere in the early 90's our first big screen was a 27" Panasonic. It has .... Volume, brightness, sharpness, and source controls. Still have it.

sbwertz

We have one....it will outlive me! I truly can't remember the last time it was turned on. Maybe the CA fires? We just aren't TV watchers. We get our news off the internet, and I do watch a few shows I like on my laptop on Hulu because my husband is not fond of Dancing with the Stars and such. To give you an idea, the batteries in the remote died and leaked before we noticed they were dead. We have it for local news in an emergency.

Bob in SF

Longing for one of these:

DreamBoxTV,2021.jpg

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
It's all marketing anyway - find a tv that is the right size for your space, and ignore all the noise the salespeople throw at you. Dynamic this vs adaptive that - all just noise as far as I'm concerned. Just get a tv in the price range that you're comfortable with, and with the inputs that fit the other electronics you need to connect to it, and call it a day! :)

WriteON

It's all marketing anyway - find a tv that is the right size for your space, and ignore all the noise the salespeople throw at you. Dynamic this vs adaptive that - all just noise as far as I'm concerned. Just get a tv in the price range that you're comfortable with, and with the inputs that fit the other electronics you need to connect to it, and call it a day! :)
Totally agree with you. Just do it.

egnald

I personally like Samsung. That being said, I am very happy with my Vizio TV. I think the upscaling on it is outstanding. It is a 4K TV, but nearly all of my signal sources are not that high of resolution, so the TV uses an algorithm to upscale the image. Personally, I would look at the Samsung Neo QLED that uses the new MiniLED technology. I have also heard that their upscaling is amazing.

From my experience working in the electronics industry, considering the quality expectations and the companies that we sold components to, the big guys are:

Samsung (South Korea) largest and most innovating leader for TV.
LG (South Korea) - top notch R&D department - right on Samsung's heels
Sony (Japan) - most user friendly products
Hisense (China) - exceptional company developmental strategy for TV
TCL (China) - high performance, has won many awards for its TVs

Considering where technology is today, I'm sure that almost any reasonably priced TV brand will provide a very good picture and a lot of features. With the flat screens and light weights, I think I would be more concerned about the built in speakers and how well they sound more so than the picture quality.

Dave

TonyL

Whatever Costco has on sale for under a grand: LG, Samsung, Hisense (least favorite, but I own one), Visio.

I am far from a TV geek though. I watch Amazon Prime, lots of Youtube and some news (what used to be known as news). .
Has to be a smart TV (for me).

Bats

Maybe it's just me, but that link makes it look for all the world like this thread was just revived by a spammer.

(me? I don't know anything about TVs - I take in most of my media through my PC)

Top Bottom