Latest Sceptre, first scallops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hendu3270

Hendu3270

This is the latest pen I've created. It's a Sceptre rollerball in Claro Walnut Burl, Black Ash Burl, white and black corian with brass between segments. Custom finials on both ends consist of the white corian and brass. I took the advice from wiset in another forum about the mosaic knife inserts. This blank had several blowouts and the original blanks had black ash burl sandwiched between the walnut the full length of the blank. I was able salvage enough of the cap blank to keep my scallops, but only a small portion of the black ash remains. Finish is CA, but not super high gloss. Sort of half way between gloss and semi gloss if that makes any sense.

This one took longer than planned because I stopped in the middle of it to turn the six trimline pens for the boys teachers. I'll post a pic later when I get back on MY computer.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• Sceptre-2129(1).jpg
    Sceptre-2129(1).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 427
  • Sceptre-2129(3).jpg
    Sceptre-2129(3).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Chris very nicely done. It has alot of elements in this one. Looks like you can give the Gisi guys a run for their money. You need to take a photo with the cap on and show off the mosaic pin. Thanks for showing. That is one to be proud of.

Hendu3270

Thanks for the comments guys. I had very high hopes when I started this one and then when all the blow outs started I sort of went into "salvage mode", just to save it. Here a pic with the cap on John. And also a close up of the other side of the cap. The close up wasn't taken with the camera, I just resized a portion of a photo, so that's why it's a little "grainy". Not sure why the mosaic pin only has three pins on one side and four on the other. Looking at the rest of the pin I have, has four on each end.

Attachments

• Sceptre-2129(2).jpg
    Sceptre-2129(2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 154
  • close-up.JPG
    close-up.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 155

jttheclockman

Very nicely done. That is a bit odd about the mosaic pin. Can not see how that can happen. Did yo make them or were they bought??? Is that 2 pins or one long one that goes straight through??? If it is 2 different pins then they probably are just 2 different designs. So many things can be done with those.

Hendu3270

Very nicely done. That is a bit odd about the mosaic pin. Can not see how that can happen. Did yo make them or were they bought??? Is that 2 pins or one long one that goes straight through??? If it is 2 different pins then they probably are just 2 different designs. So many things can be done with those.

John, I bought them online from Texas Knife Mosaic Pins They're in Texas so it only took a couple of days. The pin was all one piece. I even looked at the piece I still have left and it has 4 pins o n both ends. Guess one may have come out during cutting or turning. Definitely will be getting some more and maybe a little larger.

In your first post, what does "Gisi" stand for?

jttheclockman

John, I bought them online from Texas Knife Mosaic Pins They're in Texas so it only took a couple of days. The pin was all one piece. I even looked at the piece I still have left and it has 4 pins o n both ends. Guess one may have come out during cutting or turning. Definitely will be getting some more and maybe a little larger.

In your first post, what does "Gisi" stand for?[/quote]

Brian and Mark Gisi. They are some of the premier pen makers out there. They are members here at least by the letter of the law:)

Take a look at the contest winners and you will see their names listed.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/best-iap-contest-winners-announced-103376/

wiset1

You did an awesome job with this and even more than just showing the skill of segmenting and adding elements that enhance the pen, you have a great eye for colors that have harmony in contrast. Not that many people have tried the mosaic pin insert so it's nice to see someone picking it back up.

here's the link to the thread you spoke of: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/mosaic-pin-test-wood-google-page-ranking-90098/
Again, awesome pen. Glad you stuck with it

Last edited:
Top Bottom