Latest Laser Cut Pen Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

This is my latest pen that I've made on a Jr Gentleman hardware. It's walnut with maple inlays (12 each on both tubes). I've determined that 12 was good number that works well with the various multi start cap to body threadings. It should maintain the same pattern alignment for dual, triple and quadruple starts. WoodenOddities is moving in a new direction as far as blank making is concerned. Other than an occasional run of puzzle blanks and possibly custom orders, I'll not be making anymore Sierra sized blanks. I'm beginning to work on new patterns for some of the Fountain and Rollerball capped style pens, this pen represents one of the new patterns.

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouCee

Very cool blank!

WoodenOddities is moving in a new direction as far as blank making is concerned. Other than an occasional run of puzzle blanks and possibly custom orders, I'll not be making anymore Sierra sized blanks. I'm beginning to work on new patterns for some of the Fountain and Rollerball capped style pens, this pen represents one of the new patterns.

Why have you decided to not make anymore Sierra size blanks when you already have many cool designs for that size?

Ken Wines

Sweet! Another wonderful design Ken.

I look forward to your future designs. It is very inspirational seeing your work.

Thanks, Mark! You, sir, are too kind. I had planned on coming to Chicago to hang out with you guys for a couple of days. Way to many things happening, it wasn't in the cards for this year, maybe next.

Ken Wines

Very cool blank!

WoodenOddities is moving in a new direction as far as blank making is concerned. Other than an occasional run of puzzle blanks and possibly custom orders, I'll not be making anymore Sierra sized blanks. I'm beginning to work on new patterns for some of the Fountain and Rollerball capped style pens, this pen represents one of the new patterns.

Why have you decided to not make anymore Sierra size blanks when you already have many cool designs for that size?

It's not that I can't compete in that market, I have chosen not to compete. If I were making pens to sell, I doubt that I would pay $25 for a geometrically shaped blank. It doesn't make much business sense to spend $25 for a blank and put it on hardware that costs maybe $10 - $12. Those that shop that market have plenty of options of places to buy, whether be Laser, wooden, acrylic, etc. To make blanks to be making blanks doesn't make much sense, when there are better, more challenging ways to spend your time. At SEPG I discounted my stock to 80%, and was able to pay for my trip. When I got back home I decided to start liquidated my existing Sierra stash and was bundling 5 packs of different designs and selling them off at wholesale pricing (30% off). Most of them are gone now. If, on the other, you consider that a decent rollerball or fountain pen kit is $25 - $40 and up, then a set of blanks priced at $35 - $45 is not an exorbitant cost and should allow the penmaker some room to recoup their investments. Believe me when I say, it's not all about the money to me. Some blanks I've made just for my own edification and challenge to see if it was possible. I have some personal pen making goals I hope to attain as well a buck list that is heaped. I plan to do less blank making and start working on these alternatives. A two tube pen offers a different set of challenges. Ideally you would make a top and bottom blank that are different in design and complement each other. The pen I've posted here doesn't really meet that standard, because the cap is merely a resized replica of the body. The whole pen thing to me is an evolution in progress. I'm in transit from where I am to where I eventually want be. I didn't mean to go int this whole series of ramblings, just trying to present my perspective of what it all means to me.

Last edited:

LouCee

Very cool blank!

It's not that I can't compete in that market, I have chosen not to compete. If I were making pens to sell, I doubt that I would pay $25 for a geometrically shaped blank. It doesn't make much business sense to spend $25 for a blank and put it on hardware that costs maybe $10 - $12. Those that shop that market have plenty of options of places to buy, whether be Laser, wooden, acrylic, etc. To make blanks to be making blanks doesn't make much sense, when there are better, more challenging ways to spend your time. At SEPG I discounted my stock to 80%, and was able to pay for my trip. When I got back home I decided to start liquidated my existing Sierra stash and was bundling 5 packs of different designs and selling them off at wholesale pricing (30% off). Most of them are gone now. If, on the other, you consider that a decent rollerball or fountain pen kit is $25 - $40 and up, then a set of blanks priced at $35 - $45 is not an exorbitant cost and should allow the penmaker some room to recoup their investments. Believe me when I say, it's not all about the money to me. Some blanks I've made just for my own edification and challenge to see if it was possible. I have some personal pen making goals I hope to attain as well a buck list that is heaped. I plan to do less blank making and start working on these alternatives. A two tube pen offers a different set of challenges. Ideally you would make a top and bottom blank that are different in design and complement each other. The pen I've posted here doesn't really meet that standard, because the cap is merely a resized replica of the body. The whole pen thing to me is an evolution in progress. I'm in transit from where I am to where I eventually want be. I didn't mean to go int this whole series of ramblings, just trying to present my perspective of what it all means to me.

Ken, thank you for your informative response. Your blanks are amazing, I hope you continue posting your new designs here.

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Ken,
Spectacular Segmented Blank,
Brilliantly Conceived, and Executed.
I am delighted to read that, you are not lost to Pen Making, as your contribution to our Art has been Extremely Significant, and Stimulating.
I can Appreciate that you do have other "Fish to Fry" and I hopefully look forward to seeing the Products of your Incredible Mind.
Congratulations and Appreciation of your Contributions,
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Ken Wines

Beautiful Pen Ken,
Spectacular Segmented Blank,
Brilliantly Conceived, and Executed.
I am delighted to read that, you are not lost to Pen Making, as your contribution to our Art has been Extremely Significant, and Stimulating.
I can Appreciate that you do have other "Fish to Fry" and I hopefully look forward to seeing the Products of your Incredible Mind.
Congratulations and Appreciation of your Contributions,
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Brian,

Thanks for your kind words. I have no intention of quitting pen or pen/blank making. I do intend devoting more time to making some custom pens, which gives less time for making blanks. It's great to be a part of a community that shares a common passion for our craft.

Thanks again,

Ken

Top Bottom