latest effort...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

This has been on my bucket list since I started turning... we have an art show coming up with my local art guild and I wanted to enter a chess set...
this is my first and not too shabby, even if I do throw my shoulder out patting myself on the back.... the pawns are 2" high and the back row, I call them the royals, graduate upward to 4 1/4" for the king. The pieces are all weighted with birdshot and have felt on the bottoms.

The woods are Walnut for dark and Pecan for white..The board is Maple and Bubinga. I'm not much of a flat worker, so the board could be a little better... it has a slight arch in it towards the center. I don't have a drum sander and was leery of putting it through my planer... 1. it's too wide and 2. I ran a glue up through it once and destroyed a blade, jammed the blade guard to the point I have to drill out one of the screws...

Anyway, take a look and tell me what you see...

Attachments

• 13-3167_0.jpg
    13-3167_0.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 13-3167_1.jpg
    13-3167_1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 172
  • 13-3167_2.jpg
    13-3167_2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 178
  • 13-3167_3.jpg
    13-3167_3.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 13-3167_4.jpg
    13-3167_4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice. This is on my bucket list as well (thinking about making one for my nephew when he is a little older) How long did it take you to turn it?

Once I settled on a design... I drilled all the blanks with a forsner to a depth of about 1/2 inch, then drilled a 3/8 inch hold about 3/4" to fit on my pin chuck. That took a day, then it took a couple more days to turn them to shape...and sand, then 3 or 4 days doing the finish.... then about 3 days doing the glue up for the board... all told, about a week and half in the project.... keeping in mind that I generally only work about 4 or 5 hours per day and I don't actually work in the shop every day.

jttheclockman

I also like it. At one time I was a huge chess fan but have not played in a long time. Hard to find players. I made a couple chess boards over the years but never turned the pieces. I have the plans for a scroll sawn set that is on my to do list. But I may not live long enough to complete my list. They better come up with that secret pill soon. :)

Nice work. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom